AHS Chocolate Raspberry Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well I brewed this on 5-13 and it has been in the primary that whole time. Took a hydro reading today and it was at 1.021 and it's suppose to finish around 1.012 (OG 1.060). Used the Munton Premium Gold Dry Yeast that it came with it. I've moved it upstairs where it is warmer and am hoping it will finish up. Wondering whether I should pick up another packet of dry yeast, some safale-05 or something?

Well I brewed this on 5-13 and it has been in the primary that whole time. Took a hydro reading today and it was at 1.021 and it's suppose to finish around 1.012 (OG 1.060). Used the Munton Premium Gold Dry Yeast that it came with it. I've moved it upstairs where it is warmer and am hoping it will finish up. Wondering whether I should pick up another packet of dry yeast, some safale-05 or something?

You have done what you need to do. Let it sit warm for a few days (like 5) then check it again. If it still has not changed drop some Danstar Nottingham in there..

I have only used the Muton's yeast one time and the same thing happend to me. Wont ever use it again.

You have done what you need to do. Let it sit warm for a few days (like 5) then check it again. If it still has not changed drop some Danstar Nottingham in there..

I have only used the Muton's yeast one time and the same thing happend to me. Wont ever use it again.

Thanks FSR, thats what I was thinking to, was hoping to clear up this better bottle for another brew, but I guess it will just have to wait

For those that hove done this, how difficult is the mini-mash? I have never done one, and this kit is mini-mash or all-grain only.

Also, what about brewing their Double CHocolate Stout and adding Oregan Raspberry puree to the secondary instead of the extract at bottling?

-Todd

For those that hove done this, how difficult is the mini-mash? I have never done one, and this kit is mini-mash or all-grain only.

Also, what about brewing their Double CHocolate Stout and adding Oregan Raspberry puree to the secondary instead of the extract at bottling?

-Todd

I have heard of people doing PM's in both a crock-pot and even the oven to maintain temps.
It's very easy to do really.

Yes the raspberry puree will work also.
I have been planning to use real berries but last night I went to get them and holy crap... It's going to add $50 to this brew. Nope looks like I'll just use the extract and see how it goes. :(

I have heard of people doing PM's in both a crock-pot and even the oven to maintain temps.
It's very easy to do really.

Yes the raspberry puree will work also.
I have been planning to use real berries but last night I went to get them and holy crap... It's going to add $50 to this brew. Nope looks like I'll just use the extract and see how it goes. :(

Just use frozen berries - they're already pasteurized, and you would be freezing the fresh ones anyways to break down the cell walls.

i bought the frozen ones at the grocery store but there still pricy at like $3.20 per 10oz package. i dropped around 25 or 30 bucks on them but hopefully it will end up amazing so it wont matter. the fresh ones are 4 or 5 bucks for a 6 oz package. Screw that

-Todd

you can do minimash's on the stove also....just remeber to check the temperature every so often and adjust the flame accordingly. Ive done it this way but the temp has to be adjusted every 7 minutes in my setup so its a pain but definitively doable. They have an extract version of this kit avalable on their website also: http://www.austinhomebrew.com/product_info.php?products_id=11253

i bought the frozen ones at the grocery store but there still pricy at like $3.20 per 10oz package. i dropped around 25 or 30 bucks on them but hopefully it will end up amazing so it wont matter. the fresh ones are 4 or 5 bucks for a 6 oz package. Screw that

That's what I planned to use.. At $3.20 for 10 oz it would work out to be $51.20 for me. Nope, I wont do it.

you can do minimash's on the stove also....just remeber to check the temperature every so often and adjust the flame accordingly. Ive done it this way but the temp has to be adjusted every 7 minutes in my setup so its a pain but definitively doable. They have an extract version of this kit avalable on their website also: http://www.austinhomebrew.com/product_info.php?products_id=11253

I ordered the extract kit. This morning it only showed mini-mash, which prompted my post. I talked to them on the phone and they said it was a glitch.

-Todd

-Todd

This was my first mini-mash and I was surprised on how easy it was. Obvioulsy the final product will be the true judge.

it ran me around 30 bucks for the rasberries...i figure its worth a try once and ill see from there. Time to add a rasberry patch next to my hops i guess.

ok so i used a sht-ton of rasberries. About 5 pounds for a 5 gallon batch. I bought them frozen and then thawed them over and over. I need to go to home depot tomrow and jerry-rig a new blowoff tube because im scared this one is gonna get clogged. Well see if i come down in the morning to an expoded carboy. Sorry about the picture size....as computer literate as i am firefox keeps dieing and im fed up trying to resize. Ill keep you posted on how it comes out.
0602082137.jpg

0602081558.jpg

if they don't disintegrate...beer berries. I guess i could pull them out and freeze them for later. Maybe ill bake a pie or something.

I let the beer sit in the primary for four weeks before I bottled it. When I first sampled it, my thoughts were that it was good, but the raspberry (I used the extract) was overpowering. Over time, it has mellowed out a little IMO. SWMBO didn't care for it much so I probably will not do it again.

This beer has been very popular with my Miller Lite drinkers so I am happy I did it.

I let the beer sit in the primary for four weeks before I bottled it. When I first sampled it, my thoughts were that it was good, but the raspberry (I used the extract) was overpowering. Over time, it has mellowed out a little IMO. SWMBO didn't care for it much so I probably will not do it again.

This beer has been very popular with my Miller Lite drinkers so I am happy I did it.

Did you use the full 2oz of extract?

It does mellow out alot. When I first tasted it I wished I didn't add the rasp. extract. After sitting a few days it tastes great. I also noticed I don't taste the rasp. much unless there is foam on the beer. If I put it in growler and then pour into a glass I don't taste the rasp. at all. If I go from tap to glass it's there.

Massive blowoff when i woke up. Im wondering if i need to mix the rasberries or stir at all? or should i just leave it? the damn things wont sink

Massive blowoff when i woke up. Im wondering if i need to mix the rasberries or stir at all? or should i just leave it? the damn things wont sink

Leave it alone. As the sit they will sink some but not all. It will be fine...

Oh and FYI, any time you add real fruit to the carboy use a 6.5 gal carboy and a blow-off tube. The sugars in the fruit will make it take off again.

i knew that but i only have one 6.5 gal carboy and i didint want to use a bucket. Mistake which i am not going to make again. I should have split it between two 5 gals

how long would you recomend leaving it in secondary? this is my first fruit addition

You're having blow off in the secondary????

Sorry, been drinking.

Yes because he just dropped live yeast on a bunch of sugar (fruit)..

I would leave it for two weeks then you can keg/bottle it or rack it again to clear for a week or two. But being a stout, clear is a relative term.

Yes because he just dropped live yeast on a bunch of sugar (fruit)..

I would leave it for two weeks then you can keg/bottle it or rack it again to clear for a week or two. But being a stout, clear is a relative term.

Ah, I agree.

Almost 2400 visits and no one has tasted it yet?

Forrest

I just took a gravity reading after 2 weeks in the primary. It still needs to drop a few more points, but I drank my sample, and oh boy, was it good! And I know it's only going to get better! I wish I had picked up 10 of these kits when they were on super sale.

Thanks, Forrest!

as for the blowoff...i cleaned out my 6.5 gal and tossed it in there leaving aeration to a minimum. much better as i had no head space before

So you like it?

I think it's pretty good. The raspberry was a bit much at first but it has mellowed out over time. The beer was huge hit for my Miller Lite only friends. They were speechless to the fact that they could like a dark beer. :)

If I had to do it all over, I would back off how much raspberry extract I used. Perhaps using only half the container.

I'd like to hear what everyone's opinions are who only used the raspberry extract...whats the consensus on using it and how much? Anyone use the raspberry extract and drinking any that was bottled longer than 3 weeks ago? Has the raspberry taste mellowed?

With 2 oz. of raspberry flavoring, it should just be an aftertaste, especially with all of the dark grains. The raspberry flavoring should mellow further as it ages. If you skip the raspberry flavoring you have ordered our Double Chocolate Stout but paid for the flavoring you didn't use. Just order the Double Chocolate stout and save the money on the raspberry flavoring.

I was just curious if people liked the kit as is. Enough people bought the kit that I thought I would have some feedback by now.

Forrest

I'd like to hear what everyone's opinions are who only used the raspberry extract...whats the consensus on using it and how much? Anyone use the raspberry extract and drinking any that was bottled longer than 3 weeks ago? Has the raspberry taste mellowed?

I bottled mine 10APR. The raspberry has mellowed a bit.

Well, I ordered the kit without extract but plan on adding 5lbs of ripe cherries to it when I rack it to the secondary. I will definitely let you know how it is when done. It has only been in the primary for 5 days now.

With 2 oz. of raspberry flavoring, it should just be an aftertaste, especially with all of the dark grains. The raspberry flavoring should mellow further as it ages. If you skip the raspberry flavoring you have ordered our Double Chocolate Stout but paid for the flavoring you didn't use. Just order the Double Chocolate stout and save the money on the raspberry flavoring.

I was just curious if people liked the kit as is. Enough people bought the kit that I thought I would have some feedback by now.

Forrest

If I can get it kegged this week I'll be sure to wright up a report when I pull the 2nd pint.

Back