AHB Value line

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greyhair

Reaction score
Anybody try one of the AHB valueline beer kits?
I'm looking to experiment a little bit with flavors and recipes in beer and thought these kits might be a base to work from.
However, they really don't list what is inside of these kits and what "short cuts" were taken to make them "value kits"

TNX

Greyhair

If you call them they'll gladly fax/email you a recipe of any of their kits. They are my LHBS.. but I've never picked out one of their 'value line' kits.

The best kits I've found are from Austin Homebrew. They don't make any claims, they just deliver quality for very good prices. Anyone can make claims about "value", means about as much as your second virginity.

First, they are very reasonable priced. Second, whomever makes their kits has a real talent. The kits come in exactly on OG and the clone kits do an excellent job of matching the flavor profiles. Third, ordering extra kits to beat the $60 limit for free shipping can't be a bad thing.

i've used a couple of thier value line kits for my first brews and was impressed. they are 'value' because they don't use any specialty grains, just extract and hops. and they use less hops with higher aaus so its cheaper. i made the ordinary bitter, NW pale ale, and a brown ale, and they all turned out pretty damn good. i'd say if you want to experiment then just make up your own ercipe instead of using thier stuff as a base, you'll probably wind up with hops you dont want or something. i'd only order the value line suff again if i wanted to make a real cheap 5 gallons of beer for a party or something, but thats just cause i have more fun creating my own recipes.

AHB is great i live in austin so i end up in that store once a week very cool knowelegable staff good prices if anyone wants to brew some good stuff ferom them try their belgum devils brew its nice and hoppy or their wheat stout my personal favorite so far

andrew

ive been wanting to try that wheat stout...maybe sometime this winter. ive never had a wheat stout, it just sounds intersting. glad to hear its good.

drengel said:
i've used a couple of thier value line kits for my first brews and was impressed. they are 'value' because they don't use any specialty grains, just extract and hops. and they use less hops with higher aaus so its cheaper. i made the ordinary bitter, NW pale ale, and a brown ale, and they all turned out pretty damn good. i'd say if you want to experiment then just make up your own ercipe instead of using thier stuff as a base, you'll probably wind up with hops you dont want or something. i'd only order the value line suff again if i wanted to make a real cheap 5 gallons of beer for a party or something, but thats just cause i have more fun creating my own recipes.

Drengel,

Thanks for the info!
I'm a little cautious moving out on my own recipes so I figured that using a simple base kit would get me the right mix of bittering and aroma hops as well as a ball park for OG/FG.
Nice to hear that the kits are good but simple. Pretty much what I was looking for.

Greyhair

Back