Ah Nuts! (using nuts in brewing)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Has anyone considered using PB2 (low fat powdered peanut butter) in their beer? I always wanted to do a peanut butter stout, but wasn't sure how to go about that... but the powdered route is interesting due to its very low fat content.

Has anyone considered using PB2 (low fat powdered peanut butter) in their beer?

For my revisit to a Peanut Butter Porter I tried this power in the mash along with some "natural" pb spread in the boil which was basically just peanuts. The spread was super oily even though I tried everything to get the oils out. In the end, head was OK for a porter but the flavor was lacking.

My first batch turned out better, very strong peanut flavor, some liked it some didn't, but I was pleased with the result (I didn't think it was as strong as my wife said). I used only the spread that time, but I probably used a lot more. It was one of my first beers and I don't know where my notes on it went. I do remember the spread didn't really disassociate, there were just little chucks of peanut butter in the wort during the boil and some made it to the fermenter, but never made it to the secondary. (again, only my second brew so I was still learning).

This will be one I revisit several times, adjusting as I get better. What brought me to this thread though was to figure out how to use pistachios... If I ever brew it, I'll post details.

Back