Agressive fermentation with pics

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

morganamps

Reaction score
Ok brewed this double ipa last night at 8 hours

image-2930733492.jpg

At 14 hours

image-2533063598.jpg

So do I need to change the sanitizer at this point? Do I clean the blow off tube?

Just dump and refill the blow off container with water.

Run your hose under a hot tap to loosen most of the gunk and prevent clogging.

Otherwise, you're golden. Nothng is going to work its way through that one-way yeast avalanche.

I agree,just clean/change the blow off container for now. When it slows down to where it seems like initial fermentation is done,you can swap it for a sanitized airlock filled with cheap grocery store vodka.

Thanks, I am a bit surprised that it is so agressive. My garage stays about 64-67 almost year round.

I have a strong belgian that has taken nearly 10 days to drop from 1.090 to 1.040 before I brought it in the house to see if I couldn't get it to push through a bit. This looks like it should be at TG by 5pm. Maybe I can use the spare gas to run some air tools.

Good sign, a nice healthy fermentation no doubt. I've never had a blowoff yet...knock on wood. One of my beers started to creep into the airlock once but no blow out. What temp are you fermenting at?

When I get blow offs, I just let it ride until it's clearly less vigorous. No need to change out the sanitizer. Once things calm down, I put a sanitized airlock and new stopper on. Love me those violent fermentations!

image-1405843160.jpg

Looks just like my anniversary IPA :) I just wait for it to fall and then stick the airlock in. I don't roll the dice with IPAs, I always use a blow off tube.

Wow. I've never seen that much activity in any of my beers. Did you use a yeast starter? How big and did you use a stirplate?

LovesIPA said:
Wow. I've never seen that much activity in any of my beers. Did you use a yeast starter? How big and did you use a stirplate?

Mine is

1.064 og
1/2 gallon starter with stir plate
Temp is at 64 degrees
Full boil

Brewing tomorrow and using a 1l starter with a stir plate. Good to know what I'm in for. Thanks and I'll post pics if I'm not too buzzed to remember lol

Mine is a kit from Homebrew Heaven. it is their imperial heaven Double IPA kit.

it came with 2 packets of Safale s-04

I pitched it last night and I have already changed the blowoff water twice. It sounds like my blow off hose is connected to an air compressor.

I pitched it last night and I have already changed the blowoff water twice. It sounds like my blow off hose is connected to an air compressor.

Yeah, I kept waking up, WTH is *that* noise? Oh, it's just the beer :)

My experience with S-04 is one of blow-offs. The last two brews that I pitched S-04 I bypass the airlock and just put my blow-off in place. I've needed it everytime too. S-04 can be an aggressive yeast. But don't worry, it's a good thing. You will love how well this yeast floccolates. It makes some very clear beers.

S-04 is truly a great yeast. I typically build starters with liquid yeast, but S-04 never fails to perform beautifully.

Latest posts

Back