Aging with vanilla

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tomman

Reaction score
So due to deciding to keep my beer in primary longer than I originally anticipated, and a variety of other time set backs, I had my oak/vanilla soaking in whiskey for about a month. When I racked to secondary I dumped the vast majority of the liquid and just added the wood/bean. I'm fairly confident the oak still has flavor to give, but is the vanilla just lost? Will it still have flavor to impart to the beer after a month in whiskey, or is all that vanillaey lost forever?

I have now added vanilla to two of my batches. With both batches I thought I had used way to much, real strong aroma and flavor after a week in the bottle. This is with adding to the boil @ 5 min. then left in primary and 1 week in secondary. However, after about a month in bottle, it was very much gone completely. after 8 weeks in bottle it was totally gone.
I tried to make a creamcicle beer and everyone said it tasted like BlueMoon. It made me angry and happy at the same time. I made a good beer, that tasted nothing like what I wanted it to.!!

Back