aging question...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

70Cuda383

Reaction score
I've been wondering about the aging process.

if you let a beer sit in the carboy for say, 4 weeks, then bottle for 2, is it going to taste the same as a beer that sat in the carboy for 2 weeks, then bottled for 4?

I bought a second carboy so I can have 2 batches aging at any given time, but the aging process just takes too dang long!! I could increase my output if I bottle sooner, and let them continue aging in the bottle, but I'm not sure if pressurizing it and building carbonation will alter the aging process.

Thanks!

i will say that they will be different. i couldn't tell you how, or how much. i would also think that a beer would mature quicker (better) in bulk. that is to say, in the fermenter.

i will say that they will be different. i couldn't tell you how, or how much. i would also think that a beer would mature quicker (better) in bulk. that is to say, in the fermenter.

that's always been my thoughts too, but I've only been doing this for about 6 months now...so that's like...5 batches?:D

ok, so I think I've brewed more like 9 batches now, but I really started back in February.

I typically leave it in the fermenter for about 4 weeks and try to leave it in the bottle for 3 weeks before consumption begins.

also, on one of my first batches, I made a post, and someone here said that the larger bottles I used (quart size bottles from the Mr Beer kit I got for Christmas, and only used once before jumping into the REAL stuff) would take longer for it to age because of the larger container.

I'm going to go all grain on my next batch, gonna try a Fat Tire copy, simply because I fell in love with that brew when I was in Colorado, but being the micro brew they are, I just can't get it here in Ohio.

Letting your beer sit on the yeast cake for 4 weeks is what makes the beer better. Once the yeast is done fermenting it starts cleaning up its byproducts. If your ferment for 2 weeks then take the beer away from the yeast cake it takes longer to age because the volume of yeast is alot less.

doesn't this also depend on the kind of beer? I've only transferred out of the primary into a secondary once, and the beer came out pretty good. but almost every recipe I try, says to transfer it to a secondary after about 2 weeks.

I'm lazy and have only done it once, but just to see the difference, I felt like my first few beers were "yeasty" tasting, and the one I transferred tasted 'purer'

I have a whiskey stout in bottles right now, I let it sit in the fermenter for 3 or 4 weeks, then transferred it and added the wood chips from a whiskey barrel, soaked in my favorite scotch, and let it sit for another 3 weeks. I'm REALLY looking forward to trying that one here in a month!

so it sounds like the consensus is, leave it in the fermenter longer, then bottle it long enough to carb?

...I'm gonna need a 3rd carboy!:drunk:

I have been brewing for about 4 year/ 85 batches/mostly kegging. What I have found with both kegging and bottling time on in the bottle/keg is critical to a well conditioned beer. I believe this is more important with higher alcohol beers like a belgium strong ale, which requires several months in bottles to truly condition properly no matter how long it sits uncarbonated in a carboy. Also be careful about leaving the beer in primary on the yeast cake for weeks on end, could have some off flavors. Anyway, just my take.

doesn't this also depend on the kind of beer? I've only transferred out of the primary into a secondary once, and the beer came out pretty good. but almost every recipe I try, says to transfer it to a secondary after about 2 weeks.

I'm lazy and have only done it once, but just to see the difference, I felt like my first few beers were "yeasty" tasting, and the one I transferred tasted 'purer'

I have a whiskey stout in bottles right now, I let it sit in the fermenter for 3 or 4 weeks, then transferred it and added the wood chips from a whiskey barrel, soaked in my favorite scotch, and let it sit for another 3 weeks. I'm REALLY looking forward to trying that one here in a month!

so it sounds like the consensus is, leave it in the fermenter longer, then bottle it long enough to carb?

...I'm gonna need a 3rd carboy!:drunk:

It does depend on the type of beer if its a lighter beer like a cream or blonde ale i usualy leave it in the fermenter for 3 weeks then 3+ days in the fridge to cold crash. A stout or higher alch beer I leave in primary for 4 weeks if it needs longer then 4 weeks to age or I want to add other flavors i transfer to a secondary. This has always given me good results.

Back