Aging or not to age

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RNBEERGUY

Reaction score
so I read in John palmar book about not going to secondary unless necessary so two weeks in primary then cold crash for two days then either bottle or keg. Is this a good system in most people’s opinion? Also would there be a benefit to aging in secondary ?

Why does BeerSmith say to age 30 days in all recipes ? would I do this in secondary ?

so I read in John palmar book about not going to secondary unless necessary so two weeks in primary then cold crash for two days then either bottle or keg. Is this a good system in most people’s opinion? Also would there be a benefit to aging in secondary ?

Why does BeerSmith say to age 30 days in all recipes ? would I do this in secondary ?
My personal opinion is that unless we are talking about a high gravity brew (8% or higher) OR you have to soak in wood chips, vanilla, etc. Then secondary is not necessary. I have gone as long as 6 weeks in primary without issue. Some people secondary anything including a sub 4% blonde. Not knocking them but I don't think it's needed.

I believe this was a issue back in the early days of Homebrew where you needed to get the beer of yeast fast. But yeast technology has come a long way.

I usually go 3-4 weeks in primary then package for most beers.

The only time I move beer to secondary is if I am bulk aging a big beer.

My personal opinion is that unless we are talking about a high gravity brew (8% or higher) OR you have to soak in wood chips, vanilla, etc. Then secondary is not necessary. I have gone as long as 6 weeks in primary without issue. Some people secondary anything including a sub 4% blonde. Not knocking them but I don't think it's needed.

I believe this was a issue back in the early days of Homebrew where you needed to get the beer of yeast fast. But yeast technology has come a long way.

How long is your overall process is 2 weeks in primary enough

How long is your overall process is 2 weeks in primary enough
For the majority of my APA and Amber's, my overall process is 2 -2.5 weeks.

10 - 14 days in primary
2 - 4 days carb in the keg (2 days at 30 psi and two days at serving temp)

I have a couple recipes that I can crank out grain to glass in 10 days. I only play that card during football season when i plan on tailgating and my inventory is less than expected.

2-3 weeks in primary and cold crash is all you need for most beers. If you are making a lager you might want to do a secondary but for most ales it’s a complete waste of time.

I've had early success with my IPA's with two weeks in primary, dry hop (if applicable) for around 5 days, then cold crash for two days or go straight to bottling.
I did do a double IPA last month, ABV 9.5 that if I had to do it again, I probably would have put it in a secondary and cold crashed.

It depends on what you brew and how you like them. I do some beers with about 7 days grain to glass, others are 9 months..

Beersmith only gives you info which is a result of what info you've given the software. So in the aging-profile for the beer you have a default 30 day, since you haven't changed it.

Aug will mark my first anniversary for homebrewing. I have a Belgium Strong Ale that went 30days in fermenter along with a Bourbon County Stout Clone. Both 10.5% After 30 days they were racked into kegs for another 30 days at room temp before I moved to keezer till October.

I will say the NEIPA I did was 2 weeks in fermenter before racking into keg. Those are fun and fast!

Back