Aging my RIS - batch or bottle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eyebrau

Reaction score
I brewed up a 3 gallon batch of an RIS on 4/29. Did 3 gallons because its all the grain I could afford at the time, and wanted to do an RIS because, well, I like them. Now's the time to make one for winter. At any rate, I didn't do a great job of planning ahead.

I had planned to bottle (no keg setup) after 3-4 weeks, whenever fermentation was complete. Had an OG of 1.101, measured gravity again earlier this week and got 1.022, which is just under my target finish. I plan on checking again Saturday to confirm it's finished. When I pulled the sample to measure gravity on Monday (I think it was Monday), I tasted it to get a feel for where it is. It's a bit rougher around the edges than I thought it would be. Granted, I've made plenty of big beers, I know aging goes a long way and knew I had months before this would be drinkable. But I had some temperature control issues that resulted in more esters than I'd like, and it also turned out a bit more bitter than I expected (for only 69 IBUs...). It needs some mellowing.

But here's where my request for opinions/advice comes into play. I had planned on bottle conditioning for a number of months, but now I'm thinking this could probably use some batch aging as well. Actually I REALLY feel like it needs batch aging to help let it smooth out before bottling.

Problem is, I don't have the right containers to do 3 gallons... the beer was in primary in a 6gal bucket, of which I have 2 more. I also have a 6 gallon glass carboy, a 5 gallon glass carboy, a 1 gallon glass carboy (used to have 3, but SWMBO knocked over a shelf in the garage last summer...), and a 5 gallon better bottle. The 1 gallon carboy obviously won't hold it, and any of the others would leave way too much exposed surface area to oxygen. I do not have the equipment or ability to flush with CO2.

I'm sure I could let it sit on the yeast cake for probably another week or so without detriment, but what should I do beyond that? Should I just bottle and let them condition that way and give up on the batch aging? Could it sit on the yeast cake for more than another week or so? Should I take my chances on a secondary in glass that will leave a lot of headspace? Or maybe should I suck it up, find the cash, and go buy a couple more 1 gallon glass car boys...? I'd rather not if I can avoid it...

Thanks in advance.

i did the same thing about 10 months ago. but i took the chance and transferred about 4 gal into a 6.5gal secondary but did not have kegging or CO2 setup yet. Now i have a 6 month bulk aged RIS that i bottle conditioned...and tastes like sherry...

bulk aging would be nice, but not if you risk ruining the batch - at that point, i'd say bottle up and better prepare yourself for your next bulk aging project!

Another vote for bottle.

Last time I bulk aged a big beer, (also three gallons) I took one of my three-gallon Better Bottles that I had from when I used to do 2.5 gallon batches and filled it to the tip top with Starsan, then pushed the Starsan out using CO2 and one of those orange carboy caps, giving me a sanitized better bottle that was completely devoid of oxygen/room air. I don't think I'd be comfortable bulk aging any other way.

Bottle aging is your best bet here.

Back