Aging kegged beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlindFaith

Reaction score
I have finally decided to piece together enough stuff to keg. I don't like my beer green at all, so I usually TRY (keyword is try lol) to let my beers sit in the bottle for at least a month or so before I drink them. That is a month on top of a month in primary, so 2 months. Anyhow, I am curious as to which way is best to age kegged beer. Should I age it carbed or not?

It only takes 2-3 days for kegged beer to carb up, so would it be better to age it with no CO2? We're talking 30 days or so.

On the flip side, I wouldn't mind tasting the beer carbed to see if it is ready. So, maybe I should age it carbed.

Thoughts?

I leave my beer in secondary carboys to age. What's in the beer would really determine how long you could age. I have age imperial stouts this way for 6+ months.

If you really want to age in a keg just make sure you have purged the head space with co2. I usually do this by connecting to the co2 and letting it fill up 4 to 5 times purging the air each time. At that point you could either carb it or not.

Back