Aging in corney kegs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NAZZ

Reaction score
I am going to age a batch of beer in a corney keg to later give to a friend. My question is, should the keg be carbonated 1st or just stick it right into the closet and carbonate later.
Thanks NAZZ

If it is going to be sitting around you might as well carb it with priming sugar. Saves you time and gas.

I would say both (at least that is what I started doing, I haven't tasted i tyet). I primed it with some sugar, and purged it with CO2. Then I hit it with about 15 PSI and let it sit there so that there is some pressure to keep the lid sealed.

That brings a question to mind. I primed a nut brown ale in a corny and was pulling off sediment the whole time. Finally I just used a counter prressure filler and bottled it and left the sediment inthe bottle. Should you bend or cut the dip tube to keep it off the bottom??????

I cut 3/4" off my tube and never get any sediment and have poured off the waste when the keg was empty and is it less than 12 oz glass. I have a RIS aging in a cornie right now, but I am going to transfer to a fresh one when I goto carb it.

It's funny, I never have a problem with sediment when I prime my kegs. It's there, to be sure. When I kick a keg and open it up, there's always some sludge left over. Or if I accidentally overcarbonate and shake up the keg to knock some of it out, the beer is cloudy for a couple days. But, it clears back up after those couple of days.

I do let my beers ferment for at least 4 weeks and age for at least 3 weeks, though. So perhaps that has something to do with it.

Back