Aging cider techniques

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MarkKF

Reaction score
So far I age my cider in a carboy under an airlock. What are the pros and cons to aging it that why vs. in the bottle under a cap and in the corny keg under pressure?

Airlocks leak. Oxygen and bacteria can creep in over time and cause trouble.

Bottles are much safer for long-term storage.

CO2 pressure in a keg is safest, AND you'll get the best carbonation that way.

That being said, I just bottled my 2016 batch that was in a glass carboy for 12.5 months. It does in fact taste a little "oxidized", or something is a little off in it, but still drinkable. I won't be doing that ever again. Glad to finally have it bottled where it won't change much anymore. I do not have a kegging system, otherwise I would have done that long ago.

For glass 1/2 gal and 1 gal jugs I cap them after a month or so in secondary. Unfortunately my 3 gallon Better Bottle won't accept a screw cap and the solid rubber stopper will loosen due to atmospheric changes, so I keep it with an airlock and no headspace. I wish there was a tighter seal for it.

Some folks (including me) practice long-term bulk aging with no ill-effects on the cider. In fact, I usually age on the yeast cake for up to 14 months. The results may depend on the yeast strain used, how much headspace is in the carboy, and how well the vessel is bunged.

I use minimal headspace in the carboy with a rubber bung, 3-piece airlock, and saran-wrap over the top of the airlock to reduce evaporation of StarSan solution from the airlock and keep tiny fruit flies out. I've aged ciders for up to 13-14 months on wine yeast cakes (D47 and 71B) this way with no off-flavors. I top off the airlock about every 2 months.

What benefits do folks experience from "long-term" aging? When do dimishing marginal taste returns tend to kick in?

I was just going to post a similar question. I only do 1 gal batches. I have a few one gallons in aging. Would it age just as well in 12oz primed bottles? I'd really prefer to bottle and store a six pack from each gallon and hide it away for up to a year. Then I could drink the remaining four bottles 'young' and eventually compare. Plus it would be much easier to stash away cases of bottles rather than gallon jugs with airlocks!

Commercial bulk ciders age less but they control fermentation temps and nutrients. Small batch artisanal ciders use wild yeasts and cold ferment for much longer. Some age over a year. I usually age 3-6 mos. in the secondary vessel (glass carboy).

Commercial bulk ciders age less but they control fermentation temps and nutrients. Small batch artisanal ciders use wild yeasts and cold ferment for much longer. Some age over a year. I usually age 3-6 mos. in the secondary vessel (glass carboy).
While ur aging it for months in carboy is it capped or with an airlock?

Age it in a cool basement area? Fridge? ie) does temp it's aged at have much affect

Last edited:
Wonder how storage temp affects the "aging" process...seems from what I've read...cooler the better - but more specifically fridge temp (mid/high 30s) vs my basement temp (high50s to mid60s)??

Cheers!

Last edited:
Airlocks leak. Oxygen and bacteria can creep in over time and cause trouble.

Bottles are much safer for long-term storage.

CO2 pressure in a keg is safest, AND you'll get the best carbonation that way.

That being said, I just bottled my 2016 batch that was in a glass carboy for 12.5 months. It does in fact taste a little "oxidized", or something is a little off in it, but still drinkable. I won't be doing that ever again. Glad to finally have it bottled where it won't change much anymore. I do not have a kegging system, otherwise I would have done that long ago.
Can ya safely age in a sealed keg that's Not under pressure? ie) is oxidation a risk

Cheers!

Can ya safely age in a sealed keg that's Not under pressure? ie) is oxidation a risk

I think there is a low risk. If you could at least purge the air space with CO2 before sealing the keg, the cider would be better for it. But would the cider be okay if you didn't put a CO2 blanket on top? Maybe. And maybe not.

Latest posts

Back