Aging Big Beers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JayDubWill

Reaction score
I brewed an imperial pumpkin ale and an english mild parti-gyle yesterday. Since beersmith doesn't do parti-gyle yet I had to play the runnings by ear. I ended up with an O.G. of 1.098 for the pumpkin beer. For those of you that have brewed big beers what's your standard primary/secondary/conditioning time line look like? Right now I'm thinking 4 weeks primary, 2 weeks secondary, keg and let carb/condition for another 2 weeks. Hopefully it will be drinkable by thanksgiving. Or is my thinking completely off and I should just bottle after primary/secondary and let this sit in a dark corner until next October?

The only way to know if it will be ready is to do it and sample it. The only time I have done a big beer was a barley wine that I let age in secondary for several months before bottling. It turned out good, but it is still mellowing and improving after 5-6 months in the bottle too.

+1 to the sampling. Only time will tell. I just bottled a new batch of Scotch Wee Heavy last week (OG 1.085) that had been 4 weeks in primary and then 3 months in secondary (2 months were with scotch-soaked oak cubes). I also have a barleywine that's been in bottle 10 months that's really coming into its own.

Patience pays off ;)

Cheers! :mug:

I'm brewing the imperial pumpkin ale recipe from the recent issue of Zymurgy

OG of 1.118, it says best aged 1 year

Thanks for the replys. I think I'll keg and bottle half once it's mildly carbed. I've never done a beer this big and I would love to see how it ages.

I brewed an imperial stout 15 months ago and it gets better every time I try a bottle. It wasn't bad in the beginning, but it keeps getting better. That was primary'ed for 1 month and secondary'ed for 3 months.

+1 it depends. I have made dubbels that were very good to start, and got better with time, and some that needed time to be very good.

I often do hop-forward big beers. That way I can drink a few after a couple months and still get a nice balance. And save the rest for the malt-bomb they become and watch the complexity change. Very fun to do. Just started cracking a few of my 15% barleywine. About 10 months from brew date right now. Most I am saving for a few years from now

I'd say wait at least 4 months for a beer that big, but you could always sample after each month that passes to see how it's aging. I definitely think waiting for high ABV beers turns out to be better in the long run.

Thanks brewrifle. I'm only a week into the primary fermentation, I'll keep you posted on how it goes.

I often do hop-forward big beers. That way I can drink a few after a couple months and still get a nice balance. And save the rest for the malt-bomb they become and watch the complexity change. Very fun to do. Just started cracking a few of my 15% barleywine. About 10 months from brew date right now. Most I am saving for a few years from now

very interested in your 15% barleywine, if you have the time

like what yeast you used, any nutrients, did you re-pitch at all, time in primary, did you secondary?

I have a 13% brew coming up, 10% is the biggest I've done before. need as many tips on getting it to finish. I appreciate any help at all

^ me too.

I have a barley wine I just brewed a bit over a week ago that I expect to be about 12% or a bit higher. Interested in the 15% recipe and process, batch age, bottle age, etc.?

very interested in your 15% barleywine, if you have the time

like what yeast you used, any nutrients, did you re-pitch at all, time in primary, did you secondary?

I have a 13% brew coming up, 10% is the biggest I've done before. need as many tips on getting it to finish. I appreciate any help at all

2.5 hour boil...basically just planned my 12% barleywine at 120% and boiled off to the normal amount. Used some brown sugar to get it the rest of the way. Yeast nutrient, oxygen, and a rising ferm temp over 1 week actually got me to just under 12% with S-05. I was very surprised. Champagne yeast (with nutrient) in the secondary and two weeks on two types of oak and dry hopped (chinook, columbus, cascade). I think it spent 7 weeks in the primary and 4 in the secondary. I saw so little activity in the secondary I had no hopes of this carbing but there was a low carbonation after two months and after 3 it was there. Has been one of my most talked about beers I have brewed. Nearly 8 months later, its still a balanced beer between hops and malts though the malts are starting to shine. I'll keep trying it to a year then put the rest away to age.

Not the most detailed post, at work. I can get more in-depth later.

2.5 hour boil...basically just planned my 12% barleywine at 120% and boiled off to the normal amount. Used some brown sugar to get it the rest of the way. Yeast nutrient, oxygen, and a rising ferm temp over 1 week actually got me to just under 12% with S-05. I was very surprised. Champagne yeast (with nutrient) in the secondary and two weeks on two types of oak and dry hopped (chinook, columbus, cascade). I think it spent 7 weeks in the primary and 4 in the secondary. I saw so little activity in the secondary I had no hopes of this carbing but there was a low carbonation after two months and after 3 it was there. Has been one of my most talked about beers I have brewed. Nearly 8 months later, its still a balanced beer between hops and malts though the malts are starting to shine. I'll keep trying it to a year then put the rest away to age.

Not the most detailed post, at work. I can get more in-depth later.

this helps a lot, would still love to hear more

my brew will be the Great Pumpkin imperial pumpkin ale from the latest issue of Zymurgy.

but they were a little vague on the yeast, "whatever monster you have a lot of"

this helps a lot, would still love to hear more

my brew will be the Great Pumpkin imperial pumpkin ale from the latest issue of Zymurgy.

but they were a little vague on the yeast, "whatever monster you have a lot of"

I'd probably go with Denny's favorite or another high gravity yeast and see how high I can get it with just one yeast next time. You are most likely going to have to add a high gravity yeast down the road if you want it to break 14% and carb and not use a higher gravity yeast first, champagne is often used. Most yeasts have their "max" abv in their data sheets or easily found online. With the proper conditions you can break that. I do 12% with S-05 all the time with not a lot of fuss. Nottingham will also get you there and could get up to 14% with the right conditions. I think that is what they mean by "monster." You need a yeast known for churning through beers easily and can get up there in ABV

I'd probably go with Denny's favorite or another high gravity yeast and see how high I can get it with just one yeast next time. You are most likely going to have to add a high gravity yeast down the road if you want it to break 14% and carb and not use a higher gravity yeast first, champagne is often used. Most yeasts have their "max" abv in their data sheets or easily found online. With the proper conditions you can break that. I do 12% with S-05 all the time with not a lot of fuss. Nottingham will also get you there and could get up to 14% with the right conditions. I think that is what they mean by "monster." You need a yeast known for churning through beers easily and can get up there in ABV

I was thinking Notty too, haven't used it before. I've subbed out MO for the 6-row in the recipe, to give it English character, was leaning towards English yeast too.

I have WLP007 in the software, but it's just a placeholder for now.

local HBS doesn't sell Wyeast

For a 12% beer, say FG of 1.030, is there any chance that when re-pitching (champaign yeast for example) to bottle condition, that they may attenuate more than just bottling sugar?

I'm not entirely sure but many brewers pitch champagne yeast at bottling time and don't have bottle bombs so I guess not. I pitch it in a secondary and hope that if will finish off a few points and create a layer of CO2 to prevent oxidation. Sometimes I even add some sugar to ensure it happens.

directions for The Great Pumpkin
add oxygen 24 hours after pitch
add maple syrup and yeast nutrient on day 4
add 1 lb sugar and additional yeast on day 6
add 1 lb sugar on day 8

A little off topic but what was the gravity of the mild?

It came in at 1.028 (after boil) before I added a pound of brown sugar which brought it up to 1.036. I was hoping for a little higher but seeing this was my first parti-gyle I'm just happy I got something. I'm also happy to report the mild is the fastest beer i've ever made. At day 9 it was down to 1.010, tasted great if a bit thin so I kegged it. I'll be drinking this on day 14 just in time for my next hybrid parti-gyle; a chocolate stout and brown porter. I'm calling it a hybrid because i'm actually making two 5 gallon batches of regualar strength stout, combining the grains, and then adding a couple more pounds of pale malt and some Special B to do the porter.

So I used Wyeast 1098 English Ale, on my big pumpkin because that's what I had on hand. It tops out at 10% but at day 12 it seems to have stalled at 1.036 (~8%), even though i've "roused" the yeast by gently swirling every day for the last three. Here's my plan, tell me if i'm nuts. I am doing a stout this weekend that should finish at about 5%abv. After the stout is kegged I'm thinking of racking the pumkin beer onto the yeast cake to hopefully bring the gravity down into the low 20's. I planned on using S-04 on the stout. Do you guys (and gals) think this will work or will the roughly 8% pumkin ale kill the yeast cake that's used to 5% abv or maybe cause other problems?

Latest posts

Back