age befor or after pasteurization?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kamkamdac

Reaction score
will cider still age if its pasteurized?

i never ferment dry so i need to pasteurize when carbing is done, will the cider still age properly?

also on a side note, a small amount of lees are forming at the bottom of my bottles during carbonation. will these clear with age or always be there?

Yes, cider will age after pasteurization.

The lees will remain in the bottle unless you disgorge them. Store bottle conditioned cider upright and move as little as possible to form a small compact yeast cake.

cider/mead/wine/beer/orangejuice all age by exposure to oxygen, for the most part. When you bottle, or when its sitting in a carboy, you are allowing the liquid to be exposed to a very small amount of o2. now, heating juice up does change the flavors and smells slightly, but since it is a sealed bottle, I am not sure if there will be any change. If there is, it wont be noticeable anyway.

As far as lees forming, "clearing" is the process of particles dropping out of suspension and becoming lees on the bottom. So unless you shake it up they are not going anywhere. Clearing doesnt make things go away, it just puts them all on the bottom so that the clearer liquid an be racked off the top.

tl;dr, no it wont affect aging, and no they wont go away.

cider/mead/wine/beer/orangejuice all age by exposure to oxygen, for the most part. When you bottle, or when its sitting in a carboy, you are allowing the liquid to be exposed to a very small amount of o2.

I think you are confusing aging with something else. Exposing a young cider to oxygen will oxidize your cider and make it taste terrible. Ideally there is no oxygen in the bottle at all. Aging is a term used to describe a wide range of complex chemical transformations which slowly occur in small amounts and alter the body of your beverage.

Back