AG / Fruit question for yall....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nodfera2

Reaction score
Hello again!

I have a question for some of you. Im making a batch of Blueberry Wheat for a friend of mine and wondered if anyone had any experience brewing with fruit? For me, this would be my first time and I am uncertain as to the "fruit" part of the process.

Ive read where its a good idea to add the fruit as its transferred to the secondary fermenter---my question about this is: does adding a fruit/fruit puree in the secondary stage affect the overall gravity of the beer that much?

If anyone has any tips, Id love to hear them as well. Thanks!

I brewed with fruit and fruit juice a few times. For fruit, I would rinse it and add it to the boil during the last 15 minutes at most. Then you can rack that directly into your primary. Alternatively, what I have also done is add the fruit to the secondary at racking, but then you have to be certain of your sanitary procedures. Your last choice is fruit puree. This is obviously much easier to use. You can add this to your boil for the last 15 minutes and you are good to go.

If you want a fruit flavor to linger, add the fruit to the secondary. If you add the fruit to the boil you will loose most/all of the aroma and fruity taste. This is not always a bad thing, but if you want a wheat beer that tastes like blueberries, you should add the fruit to the secondary where the aroma and subtle tastes will not be blown/carried away by CO2 and or high temperatures. I use food grade sanitizer like they sell at the grocery store for my fruit.

If you run a search, you will find many threads discussing fruit and how best to use it in different situations.

There are also a couple other options:

1. Steeping method: First start by freezing the fruit a couple days a head of time. Next add the fruit at flame out or when the temp cools to (190-200F). This steeping allows for the extraction of fruit flavor, aroma, and sugar without adding pectin into the wort. Pectin will make your beer cloudy.

2. Vodka Infusion: Add some fruit to a jar with vodka and let sit 1-2 weeks or any desire length and then add the filtered vodka solution to secondary or at bottling time. The amount of vodka depends on how much fruit you are using. I am new to this method, but I would assume you want enough vodka so that it can cover the top of the fruit...and hey...if you don't use all the vodka for this batch, you can use it to add a hint of flavor or aroma to another batch (for complexity).

Boerderij Kabouter said:
If you run a search, you will find many threads discussing fruit and how best to use it in different situations.

QFT! Do a search. I understand you're new, but this topic has been done many times and 'fruit' is a legal search term.

Jez... do us a favor and swallow a couple of valiums. Most topics in here have been previously covered at some point. FYI... I performed a "fruit" search and was hit with an error message. Specifically, I was looking for the gravity question, which I havent found anywhere... which, in turn, you would have realized had you actually read my post. And if you dont like the title of the post, why read it (its clearly labeled)? Perhaps you should spend a little less time trying to police the forum? Nevertheless, I will make sure I consult the forum gods before posting again.

For everyone else, thanks for the tips... Im leaning on going with the puree/secondary method since blueberries are not in-season here. Im figuring that since they're canned, they have already been sterilized and will be fine adding straight in (please tell me I am correct---hahah). Now, I guess it just comes down to the amounts!

nodfera2 said:
... Im leaning on going with the puree/secondary method since blueberries are not in-season here.

I am NO expert...but I would be hesitant to add a syrup-like puree to the secondary just cuz the sugar might kick up fermentation again...If you don't mind racking again, then go for it. I am not sure if it will happen, but there is a chance it will. You could add the puree to the primary...again I'm no expert...just my .02

You are correct nl724, adding fruit will re-ferment the beer. I use a tertiary vessel to clear the beer after fruit addition. I also like to let fruit beers sit and clear in the tertiary vessel for a long time (>5 weeks) I think the flavors meld better and the beer becomes brilliantly clear.

I remembered this tool I have used for fruit additions. I have no idea if it is accurate, but I think it is handy.

Good luck, and welcome to the board, I hadn't noticed you were new! :mug:

NL... Yeah, I do see your point there---its kind of where I was thinking too.

Just for info's sake, I basically ordered a 4lb can of Blueberry puree. Now... this puree is supposedly free of additives (so no corn syrup or anything). Its just supposed to be 100% blueberries (minus this skins). We'll see.

With that said, I was thinking it may be okay to rack in with the secondary without pasteurizing (etc). It may be difficult to caluclate the potential change in gravity because we do not know the manufacturers exact canning process and if it changed the sugar structure.

If youre using a puree, Im going to assume there to be a definite influence on the final color. Does anyone remember the quanities that you used for yours and what the impact was as far as color?

I have always used fresh fruit so I can't help you with what the puree will do to the color.

I think if you sanitize the outside of the can and the opener, you will be fine without pasteurizing.

nodfera2 said:
Jez... do us a favor and swallow a couple of valiums.

Relax, and think twice before spouting off. You're not going to make any friends by asking questions that have been answered (in fact, some just days ago) before because you don't want to search, or are too impatient to try again when you get an error.

I've found at least 4 threads, all of which have been updated inside the last month, that contains answers to many of your questions, and probably will answer questions you may not have thought of yet.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=59013&highlight=fruit
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=59013&highlight=fruit
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=58275&highlight=fruit
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=57378&highlight=fruit

Jezz... the valium hasnt kicked in yet eh? Needless to say, you must not have read my original post (this doesnt surprise me)... nor my second one in response to you (still doesnt surprise me). There is nothing I've found in this forum or anywhere else that answers specific gravity questions in relation to fruit additive.

Because Ive asked something that has already been discussed (you say), does this mean I'm not going to be allowed admittance into your little forum-elite club? Im convinced that you are one of those people that actively seeks out things so that you can get offended... you want to get offended. You need to get offended for some reason. And thats really quite pathetic.

nodfera2 said:
Because Ive asked something that has already been discussed (you say), does this mean I'm not going to be allowed admittance into your little forum-elite club?

It's obvious that your don't understand forum etiquette. Chances are you won't be making it into any little forum club (here or otherwise) because I see you being banned for being rude to people who really are trying to help you out. Get a grip. This is an internet forum, don't take everything to heart or you'll be up in a tower with an assault rifle picking people off because someone on the internet told you to use the search button.

CIMG2155.JPG

BTW: I have my opinon on who shot first in this thread, but it really isn't useful to arbitrate that. As long as it gets back on topic everyone will be fine.

OK, break it up, BOTH of ya'll. I think both points have been heard. Nuff said.

Move along folks, nothing to see here. :D

Yes it has been answered before, in fact I have answered it, but the search sucks sometimes. Do a search of my recipes, I did an extract wheat recipe a while back, it's in my recipe drop down list and has a link to the thread that documents the entire process. It's not AG but that doesn't matter, but it shows how I used fruit and got excellent results.

Back