Aeropress for Hops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

x2wdtoyotax

Reaction score
Has anyone tried using an Aerobie AeroPress for hop oil extraction? I made a couple of IPA's using the french press method. I've had pretty good results, but it doesn't quite give that fresh hop flavor/aroma that I would looking for. I wonder what the results of the ultra quick extraction would be?

Video demonstrating the AeroPress

Let me know how this turns out. I love the aeropress for coffee at work, but I'd imagine you may needs to chop/grind/blitz the hops up first to increase their surface area.

Anyway - happy experimenting

I've got an aeropress, but how would this work?

Are you saying put hops where the ground coffee would go and essentially make a hops espresso with boiling wort?

Yeah exactly. Do a search on the forum for hop tea. There has been a pretty lengthy debate about using a french press to extract the oils from hops. I was just wondering if the AeroPress would be any better.

In a pretty non-serious way I gave this a try. It didn't work very well because the filter paper allowed water to flow out too quickly. If you steeped the hops first, and then poured them into the filter it would probably work better, but I haven't tried that yet. My next IPA for sure!

I love my Aeropress for coffee. I doubt it would have any improvement over french press for hop tea. The main benefit over french press for coffee is better filtration allowing for finer grind.

I've heard of some people pressing the plunger into the aeropress just slightly to create a suction that allows steep time. I tried it a couple times with coffee and it seems to work pretty well. You probably wouldn't be able to fit a lot of whole hops into the aeropress though. It seems like the pressure provided by the plunger might provide better extraction than a French press.

Any final verdict on this? Is this the best way to make a hop tea (for use with no-chill brew)?

I live in Japan, so it's hard to get leaf hops. I tried to make hop filtered beer with aero press and pellet hops. I ground pellets into powder and soaked with cheap malt liquor. The result........ I'd say it works. I used Motueka and the drink has obtained nice saaz flavor. The process has made the cheap drink into nice pilsner like drink. I'd say why not? For myself I'd buy a real beer though.

Back