Aeration

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WTexan

Reaction score
Yesterday I made and IPA and forgot to aerate. Will this cause any trouble or just a slow response from the yeast?

The yeast need oxygen to survive and do their job. If you don't airate the yeast will not preform well and you can end up with incomplete fermentation or of flavors. This is especially important on high gravity brews. Like mentioned above, if you don't see signs of fermentation yet I would go ahead and aerate

The yeast need 02 to reproduce. If you make a big enough starter you don't need to aerate your wort. When I added wlp099 to finish off my huge barley wine I didnt aerate and it worked out great.

m3n00b said:
The yeast need 02 to reproduce. If you make a big enough starter you don't need to aerate your wort. When I added wlp099 to finish off my huge barley wine I didnt aerate and it worked out great.

I did make a yeast starter just under 500ml for a 2.5 gal batch. Is that too much of a starter?

Basic Brewing Radio just had an episode on about this, where a home brew club did a test with a bunch of different methods of aeration, including none, to see how it effects a beer... results were also discussed in a blog post that you can find here.

TL;DR - They had two samples that they didn't aerate. One with dry yeast, the other with liquid yeast. The liquid one was considered undrinkable, the one with dry yeast was better, but far from fantastic.

I just got home and check my wert. I have the fermenting chamber set at 67 F and it is going like crazy. Hopefully this is a good sign.

Back