Aeration?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was basing my previous comment on this statement found on the link you shared from Wyeast. I am new to brewing and therefore still learning. Your feedback is appreciated.

"Over-oxygenation is generally not a concern as the yeast will use all available oxygen within 3 to 9 hours of pitching and oxygen will come out of solution during that time as well. Under-oxygenation is a much bigger concern."

I agree with that quote. They are the pros when it comes to yeast. It's the "generally" in the first line and that they recommend 10ppm and show that 26ppm is possible that leads me to believe that more is not always better.

I found this comment (below) by David_42 in the thread you posted. However, others mentioned that while the yeast may not be affected that their experience shows that it oxygen level may contribute to the flavor of the beer.

""Over-oxygenation" - Let's nip this factoid now.

I asked a couple yeast techs from Wyeast about this last night. They said that you cannot stress the yeast by oxygenating the wort, unless you do it continuously for hours. Fully oxygenating the wort at the beginning of the fermentation is not a problem, unless there was something wrong with your starter & the yeast were stressed before pitching."

Back