Aeration bubbled out of carboy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ClemTiger0408

Reaction score
I just purchased one of those aquarium pump aeration kits and used it for the first time yesterday. I left it in the carboy for about 45 minutes (I read 30-60 minutes at least). I stepped away from a few minutes and when I returned the wort had foamed out of the carboy. It's a 6.5 gallon carboy and there was about 5 gallons. It made cleanup a pain and pouring the yeast in difficult.

In the future, how do I avoid this? I feel like I did everything that I was supposed to do.

I just purchased one of those aquarium pump aeration kits and used it for the first time yesterday. I left it in the carboy for about 45 minutes (I read 30-60 minutes at least). I stepped away from a few minutes and when I returned the wort had foamed out of the carboy. It's a 6.5 gallon carboy and there was about 5 gallons. It made cleanup a pain and pouring the yeast in difficult.

In the future, how do I avoid this? I feel like I did everything that I was supposed to do.

I have been pouring the yeast slurry in before the air stone. Yeast can work while you are aerating.

I have a 0.5 micron air stone that perhaps is making finer bubbles. No issues at an hour of aeration.

I think it is this one:
http://www.amazon.com/Carbonating-Stone-Barb-0-5-micron/dp/B0064OKB00

Last edited by a moderator:

I use the same system on my brews. FWIW you can set a timer to 30 or 45 minutes when you start in case you have to walk away. Works for me when I know I have a few other things that need to get done.

Cheers :mug:

Back