Aerating step fed honey mead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

octo

Reaction score
I've been working on making a holly sack mead with 1 gal of water to 1 gal of honey. I've been feeding it 1/3 gal of honey at 1/3 and 2/3 sugar breaks, more or less, and just added my last ~1/3 gal of honey. I've read that its not ideal to continue aerating after 2/3 sugar break, but I'm not sure if applies to meads that are step fed honey. I think I may have eyeballed the last 1/3 gallon of honey a little wrong and it brought my SG back up to 1.136 from 1.028, so I'm thinking those little guys need some oxygen! :drunk:
Would it be ideal to continue aerating/ degassing (via wine whip) until ~2/3 sugar break on this last addition?

I probably would. You want to give those little guys as much help as you can and if possible keep the lot of them in that fast replication cycle of the yeast colony build, which does require the most amount of O2.

Sorry to say octo, but if your numbers are not typos, then IMO, you're not step feeding, you're hoping for a miracle........

A sack might be like 5, maybe 6lb of honey to a gallon, but 1 to 1 isn't sack, it's like Poltorak territory. Even then, I understand they don't try and get all the honey in during the ferment. They will push the ABV as high as possible, then add honey so it's whatever honey to water ratio the Polish national regs dictate - and I believe some are fortified as well.

Sack would be like 18%, not sure if there's any FG guidance before Sack becomes Dessert though.

With such mega gravity swings, I can't help thinking that you ain't doing the yeast any favours. It must be stressed to f***......

Yeah... I way over shot the last honey addition.. Should probably start using a scale. Theoretically it would be a dwojniak, but I was anticipating the FG to end around 1.035, which would put it around 20-21%. Yeast are probably pissed.
As it stands right now, not much has happened over the course of two days.. maybe give it another day and I'll rack and pitch K1V. :drunk:

Back