Aerating beer when bottling?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ganu

Reaction score
From what I've read, if you get too much air in your beer while transferring into your bottling bucket, it could lead to...?

Is is oxidation? If so, what are the effects on the batch? If it's just off flavors, how long until you pick up on these flavors? Lastly, is there anything I can do to limit these effects (e.g. cold storage, etc)?

(Incase you haven't figure it out yet, I sucked a bit of air when using my auto siphon. I NOW see the importance of using hose clamps.)

Thanks in advance.

G

You probalby didn't oxidize your beer. In fact, i'd be shocked if you did. However, here is the answer to your question:

Description: Carboardy, papery flavor or aroma that is not acceptable in any beer style. Sherry-like is another way to describe an acceptable characteristic in many Barleywines, Old Ales, or Scotch Ales.

Cause: Poor wort handling.

Remedy: Do not introduce oxygen to wort after fermentation and avoid rough handling or splashing beer

You want to minimize the introduction of oxygen anytime after you pitch your yeast. You risk oxidation which will impart cardboard like flavors to your beer.

That said, I wouldn't worry too much. Inless you fanned the beer in a spray and splashed a bunch, it is highly doubtful that you introduced enough O2 to cause a problem. I'm sure we all suck up a little O2 anytime we rack.

Back