Aerating a yeast starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

magno

Sound Level Technician
Reaction score
It seems that the greatest benifit of a stir plate is introducing plenty of oxygen into the starter. Is there any reason why using an aquarium pump on and off for several hours wouldnt have the same effet?

- magno

Stir plates not only introduce oxygen into the wort. but keep the yeast in suspention and in close proximity to the fermentable suger their food source. Resulting in a higher leval of yeast cells produced.

smogman said:
Stir plates not only introduce oxygen into the wort. but keep the yeast in suspention and in close proximity to the fermentable suger their food source. Resulting in a higher leval of yeast cells produced.
Yeah, what he said. (just post-whoring since I've been away fr a while):D

magno said:
It seems that the greatest benifit of a stir plate is introducing plenty of oxygen into the starter. Is there any reason why using an aquarium pump on and off for several hours wouldnt have the same effet?

- magno

I put my pump in a plastic box with a sealed hepa filter. I have one of those gang valves and I run the air the whole time.

smogman said:

This is actually the main benefit of stir plates. I have a self-made one and it is not able to produce a wortex if I have a lot of yeasty beer in there. That's why I even thought about a set-up where I use an aquarium pump for intermittend aeration. But I don't have the pump and the necessary HEPA filter yet.

Kai

Back