Advice on Secondary Fermentation with Brett

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brandonovich

Reaction score
OK, so I have about 4 gallons of an irish red in primary fermentation right now. Once it is done, I would like to add about three or four pounds of cherries, and some Brett. I do not have a particular beer in mind, just something I would like to play around with. I have never used brett before, so I have some questions.
1. Do I need the same fermentation temperature control for brett that I do with an ale yeast?
2. Should I make a brett starter?
3. How long should I expect to let this sit once the brett is added?
4. Is there a point at which I should rack off of the cherries to a tertiary?

Again, just having fun playing with a recipe, so any advice would be appreciated.:mug:

As a secondary yeast, you only need a little Brett yeast. Pitch the vial straight without a starter. It makes the yeast work harder and gets more Brett flavor.

I rack he beer of the primary yeast and then pitch the Brett and leave it for a couple of months before adding the cherries, otherwise the sugars in the cherries will be consumed by your primary yeast. Leave the cherry stones in.

Leave the cherries in for 3 to 4 months. Rack off the cherries, and let clear.

Don't worry about it creating or you breaking a pellicle. It will reform if you break it.

Back