Advice on next brew?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cstrom

Reaction score
Well i believe my first non kit brew was a failure not really sure where i went wrong with it as it has a horribly metallic after taste and even taste a bit metallic going down the tube. I used all stainless steel equipment and sanitized everything before the cooled wort touched it. Any one have any suggestions about how to prevent this in the future so i don't have another failed batch or any ideas what the cause might be? I even went as far as to check the iron content in the water but that isnt enough to give it that off flavor from what iv read. Any advice is welcome or if you would like to know what i used to make the wort id be happy to share if it makes a difference

According to the AHA Beer Fault List possible solutions are "Check water for metallic ions. Reduce water salts. Check equipment condition for rust. Make sure stainless steel equipment is properly passivated. Fully rinse sanitizer. Try using RO water and add salts as needed." Maybe one of these will lead to finding your solution.

Back