Advice on how to clean a new faucet/shank

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TAK

Reaction score
I just got faucets and shanks in the mail today. It then occurred to me, the most sensible way to clean them is probably to hook them up, and run cleaner then sanitizer through using pressure from the keg. In my current position, I only have one keg and it has carbed beer in it already. So, does anyone have some advice on the best way to clean and sanitize these things, including the line, before I hook them up to the keg?

1) Since they're brand new, is cleaning solution really necessary, or is a good sanitation all that's required?

2) Can I just soak them in solution before installing, let them air dry, and touch-up after installation with a spray bottle of starsan?

3) What's the best way to sanitize the line without pressure? My keg is also brand new, and I quickly found that starsan solution doesn't easily run into the line when submerged because of the ball lock valve.

I'd just soak the lines and shanks in cleaner and then in starsan. But that's just me.

You're overthinking it! Just rinse them out with hot water to get any dust out of there then spritz them with Star San when you sanitize the lines.

Back