Advice on finishing up this hefe fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

olotti

Reaction score
Brewed on sat, cooled wort to 60 deg then pitched my starter of wlp300. I chilled that low as my basement is around 62 where I ferment plus I usually get atleast an 8 deg rise during fermentation which would put me in the proper range for this yeast, 68-70deg. It started bubbling within 4 hrs at a temp of 61deg per ferometer, real active fermentation kicked in about 24hrs later temp now at 63-64. I had to go to work Monday and when I came home Tuesday morning there was a large compact yeast cake and the beer had noticeably cleared into that famous hefe golen yellow color, still bubbling but no signs of primary fermentation. Should I move the carboy upstairs where it's 70deg in hopes or rousing the yeast a little so as not to stall out. Did I miss my window ideal window to achieve the banana clove balance or will this one end up more cloves due to the cold er temps during primary fermentation. If I bring it up to 68 -70 for a few days will this help anything? Thanks it's my first hefe and trying to figure this yeast out.

if it were me I'd bring up to the warmer temps. You can try and rouse the yeast a little just don't splash the beer inside the fermentor. My basement is 61 degrees and it's usually too cold for the yeast to clean things up. I always have to bring it upstairs for a few days.

Raise the temp and let it finish, keep in mind the lower temps promote more clove and the higher temps more banana. You may already have missed those thresholds for ester development but the warmer temps will promote the yeast finishing up

Raise the temp and let it finish, keep in mind the lower temps promote more clove and the higher temps more banana. You may already have missed those thresholds for ester development but the warmer temps will promote the yeast finishing up

Ok this is what I was wondering, If I missed my window for that ester development. I was shooting for a balance but I guess we'll see what happens. I'll keep it up here in the warmer temps to let the yeast finish up.

Latest posts

Back