advice on fermentation temp needed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jrodder

Reaction score
So I am battling a new brew, I might have let it get away from me, just need some advice. Brewed a dunkel with WLP380. I didn't read the yeast profile very clear, I was hoping to get some banana flavors, but it looks like that one was more clove oriented. I usually ferment in a swamp cooler, but this one I wanted to be higher to get more esters. SO... 24 hours later, temp was at about 72, reading from outside strip. We turn off the heater at night, and house gets down to 55-60 or so. I wrapped it in a blanket figuring it should stay about steady, maybe rise a tick. Woke up and it was at 80. Uncovered from the blanket, house heat back on. Then it was about 72 or so. That night, I was afraid to cover it again, so let it sit out. That morning, woke up to it at 66 degrees, and slow airlock.

Been covered back up today, with house heat on and its still reading about 66-68. I figure at this point whatever off flavors are there, so I should shoot to just stabilize it and make sure the yeast don't freak out anymore and at least finish the job.

Am I going to end up with a bubblegum off-flavored nightmare? Normally I use a very large vessel of water with the swamp method, and keeps the temp steady around 68 day and night.

Thoughts?

I think you are at a wait and see period. Obviously, the wild temp changes were not good. I would try and stabilize the temp now and hope for the best. If it is too bubblegummy when you first taste it let it age for a while.

I would let it sit and try and get the temp to stabilize. The large swings in temp is was causes issues. Its too late to "save" it and its too early to tell if its "bad". You never know it could turn out amazing. In the future I would try and at least keep the temps consistent and pick a style that will accommodate the range. The swamp cooler will always help keep the temp consistent due to surface area. Hope it turns out great!

I figured as much. I've consumed plenty of beer that was "off" already, nothing new. Funds are kind of short right now, so it is hard to build a proper fermentation chamber but its certainly in the works. I was surprised how hot it had gotten just from the yeast activity alone. Live and learn. Hopefully its more banana ester and not bubblegum. I normally keg, but if I feel like it needs to age maybe I bottle a bunch of it and come back to it later. :)

Back