advice on controlling lagering temp

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

feelinhoppy

Reaction score
So im ready to start my first lager and I built a keezer for my finished kegs. I have a Johnson temp controler but the probe just lays on the floor. I was wondering how to setup the probe to get the most accurate temp of my lagering beer. As it is now I feel like its just reading the air temp which will be a pain when I'm adjusting the temp everyday. Any tips or advice would be great. I need a crisp beer to sit next to my 60 minute Ipa.

I put my probe in about 500ml of water right along side my fermentor. After a few days the larger fermentor mass is equal to the smaller volume and the cooling box doesn't cycle as much.

If you want an accurate measure of the beer temp, you can put the probe between the wall of the keg and a block of styrofoam taped to it. The styrofoam insulates the probe against the air temp, making it so you get the temp of the beer.

But if you're trying to control the keezer temp with the controller, I would probably go with helibrewer's suggestion for a few days at least. Otherwise the thing will be on 24/7 until the beer temp settles, which can take a while.

Back