Advice on a Craigslist find

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beavers

Reaction score
I'm hoping to begin putting together an all-electric setup soon, and have been keeping my eyes open for a used GFCI breaker or subpanel to pop up somewhere. I finally found one that seems like it's going to work, but I could use confirmation from someone with more electrical knowledge than myself. I've got a buddy who was an electrician in a previous life that will be helping me to install and test it, but he's unavailable for a few days and I want to snatch this up while I can.

00F0F_2O62zbC1PhE_600x450.jpg

00D0D_iTRYStz10gp_600x450.jpg

Here's the seller's description:

All GFI breakers:
1x 50 amp DP
1x 20 amp DP
1x 15 amp SP
2x 20 amp SP
2x 20 amp slime line SP

All I'm really going to need is the 50A, but I can't quite tell from the photo what's what. Is it the breaker on the bottom-left? That's the only one I see with the pigtail. Also not sure what's up with the top two DP/DT breakers. It looks like the outer red switches are bridged, or are they GFCI resets?

Also, would the rust be of any real concern? Appears to be mostly on the outside, inside looks pretty clean, some minor rust creeping in near the mounting holes. Hopefully I can just sand it and hit it with some Rustoleum.

Thanks for any insight!

The top switches are the 2x20, duplex circuit I think. The bottom left is the 50. can't tell which is which on the other two. They can all be in any order. And they can all be replaced with what breaker you like that fits......breakers are box manufacturer specific...SquareD, Siemens, etc. The breakers are not interchangeable between box manufacturers.
The rust would not be an issue if you clean it up like you say....inside does appear to be fine.
Based on the breakers, I'm guessing this is a 125 AMP rated box.....

1 - how much is this?

2 - how much power do you think you will eventually need?

I ask because old breakers can be finicky, especially GFI's and trip at odd times, so if this panel isnt that much cheaper than getting a spa GFI panel from HD/Lowes I would say skip it

I just got an eaton 50A gfci spa panel from home depot, brand new, and it was only $60. Unless this is near free it might not be worth the effort

The guy is asking $20 for everything. I only really need the 50A breaker, so I'd just pull the others. I'll be talking to him this afternoon to find out if it still works, why he pulled it, etc.

$60 ain't bad at all for a full 50A, I can't ever seem to find that deal. Do you have a link?

Just got off the phone with seller. Turns out the bigger GFI breaker pictured is not 50A as listed in the description, more like 15 or 20A, he wasn't sure which.

So, I think I'll give up on cheaping out. It'll be better to buy new, so I can be assured it'll function properly. ryane, thanks again for the link, this will be my first purchase! And thanks to everyone else for the advice.

Cheers,
Adam

Back