Advice needed on hops schedule

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eilert

Reaction score
Hei!

Hi! Seeking help from you experts...Im a total newbie, but Im going to do batch number 3, and advance from kits to extracts with hops addition.

I've bought Nottingham yeast, 3.3 lbs Coopers Light LME, 3.3 lbs Coopers Amber LME, and 100 grams of Styrian Goldings Celeia pellets (3.19%).

I'm planning a total volume in the fermenter of approx 5 US gallons, because I would like a ABV content of about 5% (correct me if I'm wrong). My plan is to boil a relatively small volume (1-2 gal.), cause I dont have a cooler neither a large kettle. I will boil 1/3 of the LME from the beginning, and add the rest near the end of the boil.

My question is: At what boiling times, i.e. schedule, should I add hops, and what amount each time? As I said, I have 100 grams, and someone has recommended that I use all/most of it, cause I like my beer relatively bitter (but not extremely bitter...)

You hops are fairly low AA%, so you'll have a hard time getting much bitterness. Can you get some other hops with higher AA% for your bittering?

If you are stuck with what you have, you could add 50% of the hops at 60 minutes, then 25% at 15 and 25% at 5, or something like that. Get you to about 20-25 IBU's.

Check out Hopville or Tastybrew, they have online recipe calculators where you can see the effect of your hop additions, and play around with the timing. Enjoy!

Thanks a lot!

What about the ABV, do you think I'm right with the volume?

6.6 pounds of malt should be good for 5.3 to 5.6%ABV. I usually use 1 cooper's can & a 3lb bag of Munton's plain DME with at least 2oz of hops. I do late extract additions & hop bursting too. Some of these type of recipes I do with the cooper's can will be getting 1lb more DME to improve the malt backbone a bit.

My results were from using the cooper's formula. But every ABV formula gives a different result. No two the same. By seat of the pants feel,my experiences thus far,I'd say it's pretty close. But I've gotten 1.050OG's down to 1.010FG a few times in a row,so a bit more ABV...

Thanks so far - what about you other guys, do you agree with the suggested hop addition schedule?

50 g @ 60 min, 25 g @ 15 min and 25 g @ 5 min?

And what about the late extract addition - 1/3 from the beginning, 2/3 at the end?

Latest posts

Back