Advice needed for quick kegging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RITiger41

Reaction score
I don’t have much experience kegging. The hand full of times I’ve kegged before I patiently waited two, plus weeks with the pressure set at 12 – 15 psi at 38 degrees.

I have heard people keg their keg beers within a few days or overnight to then serve them immediately. Are there any tricks or methods you’ve used to successfully carb your beer under four days?

I got a wit I’m looking to serve this weekend, would like the CO2 vol around 2.5.

Currently, I have the regulator set at 28 psi with beer temperature at 38 degrees.

I appreciate your help in advance.

I set mine at 40 psi for 24 hours and then I drop it to about 20 psi for another 12 hours. After that I set it to serving pressure. It's usually about 90-95% carbed at that point, which I consider drinkable. After another day or two at serving pressure it's perfect. YMMV..

If I want mine ready as soon as possible, I'll put the PSI at 30 and roll the keg on the ground for a few minutes. After a few hours of settling, I'll do it again. The next day I'll put it at serving pressure, let it set for a bit and it's ready to go. Just make sure you have a check valve on. This method is also known to over carbonate at times.

I cold crash my carboy in the Keezer over night, siphon it into two kegs divided in half then hit with 60psi shake the keg then hit it with 40psi shake it then bleed the gas off and tap or bottle it right away. I have never waited for it to carbonate.

To get something ready quick, I keg and then place in the kegerator for 36 hours at 30 psi. I then purge and reset to 12 psi, and pour off some of the sludge (about 3 ounces). It's important to not move the keg, as you don't want to resuspend any sediment. By 48 hours, it's pretty nicely carbed and clear.

There are many threads on this subject if you search... anyway my quick and easy method is racking to keg, chilling keg in kegerator overnight with a bit of pressure to keep the lid tight, in the morning set regulator to 22 and rock the crap out out of it until the regulator quits moaning, put it back in the kegerator for 8 hours or so, vent the pressure, set regulator to serving pressure and serve. Usually this works very well for me, sometimes it takes another day or two at serving pressure for the carbonation to feel like its perfect though.

To get something ready quick, I keg and then place in the kegerator for 36 hours at 30 psi. I then purge and reset to 12 psi, and pour off some of the sludge (about 3 ounces). It's important to not move the keg, as you don't want to resuspend any sediment. By 48 hours, it's pretty nicely carbed and clear.

This sounds like a "happy medium" to my method of which I described above. I'll have to give this a try...

Latest posts

Back