Advice needed about carbing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UrbanBrew

Reaction score
I bottled up a gallon or so of a Pale Ale about 2 weeks ago. It still has no carbonation. I put a measured amount of sugar solution in each bottle then siphoned in the beer. I have read around the site and have come to the conclusion that the beer may have been too cold when I bottled. It had been kept in the garage in 40-50 degree temps and I didn't let it warm up before bottling. After bottling it was kept in the house in about 70 degree temps. My question is if I reopen the bottles and add some more dextrose how much would be recommended. At this point I know it's hit and miss but just wanted to get some experienced opinions.
Thanks,

It had been kept in the garage in 40-50 degree temps and I didn't let it warm up before bottling. After bottling it was kept in the house in about 70 degree temps.

I doubt this would kill the yeast, but it may have pushed it into a dormant state, from which it might take a while to recover. If it doesn't recover (ie.: it's dead), adding more sugar won't help either. If it does revive, you've already got priming sugar in each bottle, right?

My vote is to move them into an area that is 75 degrees and shake each one.

Shaking might not be a great idea but i have found that gently turning them upside down and swirling the bottles and getting the bottom sediment moving around can jumpstart the yeast into carbing.

DON'T shake it!! could oxydize with the little amount of airspace.

Thanks for the replies. I popped one open to ad a little dextrose and low and behold this one seemed to be carbed. I recapped that one and popped it in the fridge until tonight. I tipped and swirled the rest and put them back to hopefully finish.

Back