Advice for rushed brew/burst carbing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DsmBrood

Reaction score
So I was given somewhat short notice of a need for a lot of beer for an event, here is what I'm looking at: All beer needs to be served on April 8th.
Batch 1, Belgian Spiced Ale, brewed on March 13th, racked to secondary (Sanke kegs) after 8 days on the 21st.
Batch 2, IPA brewed on March 18th, racked & dry hopped into Sanke secondary yesterday, March 28th.
Batch 3, American Wheat Ale brewed March 18th, racked into Sanke secondary yesterday March 28th.

I need to be pouring beer on the 8th. I'm planning on letting the kegs go as long as I can in the secondary kegs they are in now, then on the 3rd I'll cold crash everything to rack into serving Sanke kegs on the 4th. To be burst carbed with 30psi to be shaken for the next four days at servind temp.

Now, tasting the wheat after primary I may just hold on to that one because I really think its going to be too green. But the Belgian and IPA I think are going to fine, not great, but OK.

So, does this sound like the right plan for all this? Any advice?

I usually get fine carbonation with 30 psi at around 2- 2.5 days, without shaking. I think 4 days and shaking would be overdoing it. IMHO.

Shaking might work for a few people- but for the most part I think it'll be overcarbed, foamy, and full of sediment.

You have plenty of time to not shake.

If the beer is warm, simply put it on the gas now at 30 psi. It will be carbed by April 8.

If the beer is cold, put it on the gas at 12 psi. It will be carbed by April 8.

Don't shake or move them. Chill them about 5 days before the party. Keep them on the gas, at 12 psi.

A day before serving, you can move them via C02 to a new keg. (Don't move the original kegs). If you push the beer with 2 psi, it won't foam much so you can transfer the beer carbed and you'll have nice clean clear carbed up beer.

Edit:

I was hopeing to be able rack them out of secondary before serving, at least for the IPA since its currently being dry hopped. The Belgian I can go ahead and start carbing now. I did not cold crash any of them from primary to secondary so they all have a good amount of yeast still.

I dont have the keg couplers or gas line manifolds to keep all the kegs on constant preasure. Can I get good results with just reaplying preasure every few hours?

Latest posts

Back