advice for hops for an amber ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mfraier

Reaction score
I would really like to get a simple extract recipe going for an amber similar to bells. The last amber I made I use 1.5 oz cascade for 60 min and .5 to finish. Its still green, so I dont know for sure how it will finish after it sits for a few more weeks. But after a week in the bottle its hard to detect the hops and is a bit sweet.

Anyone have a recipe for an amber that is similar to bells? What hop schedule are you following?

After a few attempts at an APA I gave up on using cascade as a bittering hop, it just doesn't pack enough of a punch. I now use 1oz of northern brewer for 60mins, 1oz Cascade 15min, 1oz Cascade finish and 1oz Cascade Dry hop. Yea those hop schedules you posted (if, thats for a 5gal batch) would not make a very hoppy beer at all, it'd be closer to an english brown ale level of hoppiness then an american amber.

EDIT: You might wanna also throw in a 30min addition along with what i posted, but will increase your IBU, however, from what your saying, that might be a good thing

im a big fan of columbus as a bittering/flavor hop combined with cascade, centennial, or amarillo as a flavor/aroma hop in an american amber.

Anytime you want something similar to a specific beer Google that beer followed by "clone." In this case "Bell's Amber Ale clone."

I came up with this with little effort.

0.50 oz. Cascade Pellet 7.50 17.9 60 min.
0.50 oz. Fuggle Pellet 4.75 11.3 60 min.
0.50 oz. Cascade Pellet 7.50 0.0 0 min.
0.50 oz. Fuggle Pellet 4.75 0.0 0 min.

I've never tried cloning Bell's Amber, but in my amber ales, I like either English or noble hops. I've had good results from using Fuggles and Goldings, and I've also had good ambers with using Hallertau and Saaz.

TB

Latest posts

Back