Advice for a brewer who doesn't drink

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My advice would be to taste your beer. Buy some taster glasses and only do small quantities. You might find that you can handle drinking a little. Then move up to drinking a full glass. You should know what your product tastes like though.

If you don't want to drink, to hell with what people think, it's your life. Keep doing what your doing if it makes you happy.

Just some more thoughts (because I have a long rational for everything):

If you drink your beer, and you think, "this is a bit thin" or "not bitter enough for an IPA" or "too sweet," you know to fix that. So do I, the same way most of you do. Because you read about increasing the mash temperature or adding more hops to the buttering addition or checking your gravity to see if the yeast is done. That knowledge came from many other people as well as your own experience.

If my wife or brother tell me something is off or what they like or dislike, I know how to adjust.

I try to avoid the buttering addition unless I am brewing a bock.

But, again, I do "get it". I love to cook fish for my wife but I cannot eat it. Literally makes me gag. I still do it because of the satisfaction she gets from it. Over the years I have learned how to do it better.

I am curious if you at least tasste the wort before the fermenter?

I brew multipple batches every week and aside from tasting wort and various stages of aging and fermentation I hardly drink...not just as a brewer but compared to anyone else I know, I think I have maybe 2-3 beers a week (many times not even that for weeeks at a time). When I make a new recipe I do however make a point to have a glass or two just so I can see if I am satisfied with the flavor, texture etc.

I understand making it for the pleasure of others, but a shotglass of beer so you experience the flavors you are creating isn't the same as downing a stinger either especially since it is more for knowing and being able to describe your creation...I sure wouldn't build a car then never drive it thats for sure.

Just some more thoughts (because I have a long rational for everything):

If you drink your beer, and you think, "this is a bit thin" or "not bitter enough for an IPA" or "too sweet," you know to fix that. So do I, the same way most of you do. Because you read about increasing the mash temperature or adding more hops to the buttering addition or checking your gravity to see if the yeast is done. That knowledge came from many other people as well as your own experience.

If my wife or brother tell me something is off or what they like or dislike, I know how to adjust.
There is so much more than too sweet for an IPA, or too thin. When you design your next brew, you have no idea exactly what qualities each ingredient ads.

At the very least, you should be entering your beers in BJCP competitions, lots of them. Detailed tasting notes will help you, but you still won't be able to know what they're tasting.

If I started drinking beer around my friends who have known me for a decade, I would lose a bit of what makes me me. Maybe that's stupid, but I have to believe that everyone has certain things they do/maintain because of the people around them. We live in a society.

This idea really makes no sense. I am not supposed to do things I enjoy in life because my friends have never seen me do it? People change as they get older. I am not saying to get hammered all of the time, but one beer is not going to change who you are and true friends would obviously understand.

Well, I guess you got your answer. Talking about brewing with other brewers will likely turn to a discussion about "why the eff don't you try your beer".

I have to say though, your comment about not drinking because its part if who you are is a bit absurd...with that mindset you would never try anything new just because you might alter peoples image of you. If this us truly the reason you won't try your own beer then you need to mature a bit IMHO.

This thread made me a saaaad Panda :( In all seriousness I have a few things to say and please take it all light heartedly, some points are just light hearted sarcasm:

1. You shouldn't care what anyone else thinks so long as you enjoy doing it.

2. You're nuts, brewing all that beer and never tasting an ounce of it is plain crazy. I can't see why you can't taste it, why if you've never tried beer you don't just try one dammit, and why you'd invest money in it to not enjoy it yourself?

3. I'd imagine it's extremely difficult to refine a recipe based on various mixed opinions, because they usually are all mixed.

4. I think there's something bigger to this picture here. You don't drink beer for any viable reason but use the excuse of a fist fight at **15** years old!? Come on, that doesn't cut it. You also are into a hobby that you have no interest in partaking of the fruits of the labor. You'd also mentioned you immerse yourself in things, learn as much as you can, and move on. I hate to break it to you but this is not healthy behaviour. Not saying you need a psychiatrist or anything as I'm sure you're not hurting anyone, but you might want to see a therapist or something. You might be able to find a direction that best suits you that you can put a better investment of your time and energy in.

Again, please please pleeease don't take these comments offensively at all, they are in no way meant to be and the "nuts" comment was light sarcasm :mug: Overall though if it makes you happy just keep at it.

Rev.

You're not the first person who's done this. I remember at least one other obsessive hobbyist who came on here and admitted to doing the same thing in fact he said iirc that he hated the taste of beer, but loved brewing.

But he only did each hobby for a year, then sold the gear off to fund the next hobby. And Brewing was his next go-around.

I'm sure this happens all the time and we don't know about it. People who immerse themselves in one hobby after another. Obviously people pick up hobbys all the time, and put them down...BUT I do think there are folks who's hobby is........immersing themselves in hobbies for a period of time and then moving on.

If I started drinking beer around my friends who have known me for a decade, I would lose a bit of what makes me me. Maybe that's stupid, but I have to believe that everyone has certain things they do/maintain because of the people around them. We live in a society.

Why would you lose anything? I think its crazy to brew and not taste it. Theres a big difference than say a stout compared to a shot of bourbon. Not all alcohol tastes the same.

I think if people didnt like you because you drank a beer, you should find new friends...

I'm inclined to agree it just sounds way too far fetched to be true. 30+ brews and not a single taste?
What's anyone to say to that here?

If it were true, he'd need to deal with his psychiatric issues long before we could help him...
Sorry if it sounds harsh but brewing 30+ batches of beer and not trying a single one because of something that happened in childhood and/or the perception of his friends, the ones actually drinking his beer, is crazy.
Why worry about how people who brew and/or drink your beer perceive you for drinking, or even just tasting, your own beer?

I'm inclined to agree it just sounds way too far fetched to be true. 30+ brews and not a single taste?
What's anyone to say to that here?
Good luck?
If it were true, he'd need to deal with his psychiatric issues long before we could help him...

Hurtful.

My question wasn't to get attention or seek advice on me as a person. It was to see how people thought the brewing community at my local shop and the meetups would react. Seems like it would cause a lot of confusion and possibly be met with some resentment. So I think I will keep my little secret to myself for now, and keep lurking around on the forums.

I truly appreciate the input. Maybe I showed a bit too much of my soul in an effort to explain here, but that's just me being me.

Thanks everyone!

Hurtful.

My question wasn't to get attention or seek advice on me as a person. It was to see how people thought the brewing community at my local shop and the meetups would react. Seems like it would cause a lot of confusion and possibly be met with some resentment. So I think I will keep my little secret to myself for now, and keep lurking around on the forums.

I truly appreciate the input. Maybe I showed a bit too much of my soul in an effort to explain here, but that's just me being me.

Thanks everyone!

I sincerely apologize.
I didn't mean to be hurtful.

Were you afraid of their rejection? Sure some people might resent that, but good people would never judge or resent you because you like to brew but not drink. Those people just aren't worth your time.
I don't know you at all but have respect for your integrity, even if I don't understand or relate to it.
It sounds like you need to accept and be confident in yourself for who you are first, otherwise people may not respect you. Or at least it wont seem that way.
I guess this is my best advice regarding your original question.

Honestly, it's inertia. I have a beard. There are times when I want to shave it off, but my wife likes it and it makes me distinct. So I keep it because I like it most of the time and don't want to throw everything off.

You worry WAY to much about what others think.
In Portland, I can understand a vegetarian chef cooking meat and people going out of their way to eat there because of it.
That's just Portland. It's got it's own strange culture.
I will tell you this though, she can't cook meat nearly as well as if she ate and enjoyed it. I would not go to a place where the cook didn't eat meat because she doesn't understand the flavors. Reading or being shown just isn't the same, and I don't do things to be trendy or to try and define myself as something other than what I am.

I'm not knocking you for not drinking, but because you like to be that guy is just a strange reason for it.
Taste testing isn't like you've taken up drinking.
If you brew that much and you are trying to come up with a really good beer that people like, you need to taste it to reach any potential.
Unless being the guy in the crowd who doesn't drink is the only thing you've got going in your life, give it a try. You will make better beer and you may find out that you like it.

I sincerely apologize.
I didn't mean to be hurtful.

Were you afraid of their rejection? Sure some people might resent that, but good people would never judge or resent you because you like to brew but not drink. Those people just aren't worth your time.
I don't know you at all but have respect for your integrity, even if I don't understand or relate to it.
It sounds like you need to accept and be confident in yourself for who you are first, otherwise people may not respect you. Or at least it wont seem that way.
I guess this is my best advice regarding your original question.

Thanks. I have a hard time meeting new people because I am shy, and it's a strange situation, and I wanted to know what a brewing community would think about how another brewing community would react. I don't want to put myself into a face to face situation like what I experienced a bit of here. I'm not into that sort of drama.

I have confidence in myself, it's why I have stuck with it. This whole thread has rattled me a bit, but I haven't ever had a problem with thinking I was doing what is right for me with this whole hobby.

Thanks.

I say do whatever makes you happy.

That being said, that is a pretty weird situation. Its like a blind painter relying on others to tell him what is a good painting. Have you thought about getting into other crafts that not only you can enjoy the labor of but also the fruits? Like cheese making maybe or something? There are plenty of other hobbies similar to brewing you can dive into that you can get the best of both worlds. Or do you think part of it may be that you like people to like you for making them beer? Not saying it to be rude but I could totally see some fear associated with telling friends (and wives) that you are no longer going to make them beer.

I say do whatever makes you happy.

That being said, that is a pretty weird situation. Its like a blind painter relying on others to tell him what is a good painting. Have you thought about getting into other crafts that not only you can enjoy the labor of but also the fruits? Like cheese making maybe or something? There are plenty of other hobbies similar to brewing you can dive into that you can get the best of both worlds. Or do you think part of it may be that you like people to like you for making them beer? Not saying it to be rude but I could totally see some fear associated with telling friends (and wives) that you are no longer going to make them beer.

I have a lot of hobbies. I make furniture, I create electronic devices, I program websites for local charities. This is just one thing I also do, and it's because of the love I get from watching others consume it, like I do when I have people over for dinner and they admire my table or when I bring in my latest invention to the labs department at work.

I have a lot of hobbies. I make furniture, I create electronic devices, I program websites for local charities. This is just one thing I also do, and it's because of the love I get from watching others consume it, like I do when I have people over for dinner and they admire my table or when I bring in my latest invention to the labs department at work.

Then keep on keeping on brother, if it makes you happiest to make others happy. It's good to see that you are.

If you'd rather them not know then don't tell 'em. But if you do tell 'em do it with confidence that you're one BAMF, because you are.
Just keep on doing the things that make you happy. :rockin:

<snip>

<snip>

My guess is they'd probably react very similarly to the responses you've already seen here.

To each their own and all that jazz. Do what you want and don't let others try to dissuade you. If you enjoy brewing, keep doing it.

I love making ice cream for family and friends. I can't eat it myself anymore, at least not in any appreciable quantity, but I still enjoy experimenting with it and sharing it with others. Sometimes just making something others appreciate is rewarding enough.

I think it's fine!
I brew way more than I drink.

I'm trying to learn to like beer. It's being a slow process. Most beer tastes nasty to me. But I still want to brew it.

If you don't want to drink, that's fine. But I will re-ask a previous question of "Have you considered tasting the beer you brew without swallowing it?"

You're on the East coast so you don't know how believable this is for Portland Oregon.
Not your normal city.

Fair enough, I really don't know! I'd love to make it to Portland. The internet is so impersonal, it lends itself to so much misinterpretation.
Been to SF, Seattle and coastal oregon but never the fine city of Portland. I like a lot of bands, beers, hops, and "related" plants from that region. You will have to let me know the local craft brew spots :)

:mug:

Fair enough, I really don't know! I'd love to make it to Portland.
Been to SF, Seattle and coastal oregon but never the fine city of Portland. I like a lot of bands, beers, hops, and "related" plants from that region. You will have to let me know the local craft brew spots :)

We can hang out when you come to town and you can tell me if your diagnosis holds water.

I can believe not wanting to drink. I didn't have first real drink until I was 21 (a terribly made white russian), and after that I decided I wasn't going to drink ever (along with fact my grandfather was a alcoholic). Then we got my dad a beer making kit. His was the first beer I actually liked. As I the years went on, I like the idea of making it. When I moved away to South Carolina, I decided if I got back to Ohio I would make an effort to brew more with him because of how good most of it was ( I now was moving into the craft beer scene). Now back in Ohio, I love all great craft beers. I influenced my dad to go all grain, and we made our own mash tun. These sites have gave me inspiration, and tasting to me is the greatest satisfaction. I believe it is important to taste what you have, but if you have people that like what you make, so I say more power to ya.

We can hang out when you come to town and you can tell me if your diagnosis holds water.

Haha, I'm down. My 'diagnosis' is meaningless if you're happy! I have an uncle with Asperger's who is happy as a clam. It's probably an internet misunderstanding and/or a portland thing anyways. Silly to diagnose on the internet.
I will be doing some of my fourth year in Oakland CA so maybe I can give you some notes on your brew if I get some free time and you accept notes from my amateur palate XD

Something tells me you're dying to try some beer, but you're afraid of throwing off your equilibrium.

Well guess what? Life's too short. Drink some beer.

Fair enough, I really don't know! I'd love to make it to Portland. The internet is so impersonal, it lends itself to so much misinterpretation.

I don't live in or near Portland, it's about three or three and a half hours away.
It is where I go when I need to go to a city though.
Strange place. They use to have a popular mayor who would go around hooting like an owl if that gives you an idea.

Strange as it is, it's better than the chaos of Seattle. Plenty of interesting stuff there and lots of things to take my daughter to.

Big craft beer area so that's good.
I'm planning a trip there this weekend to hit hooters and Rouge's brew pub!
Nothing much surprises me in Portland though.
Like I said, it's someplace where I could see people going to a restaurant with a chef that doesn't eat meat just because it's cool.
Might go to one of those places that serve beer and you get to support single moms, $1 at a time.

I don't live in or near Portland, it's about three or three and a half hours away.
It is where I go when I need to go to a city though.
Strange place. They use to have a popular mayor who would go around hooting like an owl if that gives you an idea.

Strange as it is, it's better than the chaos of Seattle. Plenty of interesting stuff there and lots of things to take my daughter to.

Big craft beer area so that's good.
I'm planning a trip there this weekend to hit hooters and Rouge's brew pub!
Nothing much surprises me in Portland though.
Like I said, it's someplace where I could see people going to a restaurant with a chef that doesn't eat meat just because it's cool.
Might go to one of those places that serve beer and you get to support single moms, $1 at a time.

Love this post. Will add Rogue's to the must-do list up there.
LOL @ the story about the mayor and single moms. Sounds like this will be a very good place to chill and people watch.
Do yall have some fun things to do there? I have a travel list and would love to add stuff HBT members like up there.

Op,
Have you tasted unfermented wort?
It was brought up earlier and never answered...
Have you made any hop tea and tried it?
Or done the same with malts?

As far as telling people anything , imo its a good conversation starter, but that's me....
If you told me at a brewshop that, I wouldn't care or look at you different....I'd ask you if you need feedback on any of your beers or whatnot...

Just be proud of who you are!!
Just be yourself..

Awesome thread btw...unless u are trolling...

I think if that's what your into, then who cares what others think. I'm sure you will get a mixed response, but at least some of it can help you progress as a brewer. It is important to know; however, that what makes a beer "good" is totally subjective. I have many friends who brew/enjoy beer and when we do tastings everyone's interpretation of a given beer is different. Brewing on any level involves an understanding of how certain ingredients produce flavor, aroma, mouthfeel, and many other subtleties. Without even tasting (not necessarily ingesting) the beer every step of the process you won't be able to progress beyond a certain ceiling, so to speak.

Brewing is an ART. If you refuse to enjoy your art, whats the point. And Beethoven wasn't always deaf. He understood the complexities of music before he went deaf. You must understand the complexities of your art through your own experience, as well as the experiences of others.

Brewing is an ART. If you refuse to enjoy your art, whats the point. And Beethoven wasn't always deaf. He understood the complexities of music before he went deaf. You must understand the complexities of your art through your own experience, as well as the experiences of others.

True this. He didn't start going deaf until 26 or so and wasn't completely deaf until 18 years later. He contemplated suicide many times because he couldn't enjoy his passion any longer.

Seeing as how you have never drank beer, of the four times you have drank, I would suggest trying at least a sip of one of your batches. You may end up liking beer and if you have self control you won't have any problems.

Not liking the taste of alcohol based solely on your experience with non-beer alcohol is not really an accurate statement unless you've tried all types of alcoholic beverages.

What about brewing Milds & Biere de Table at around 3% then you can drink one here and there? Brew bigger beers for friends if you wanted to.

Partigyle can achieve the above as well

Back