Local SCOBY source?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeBiondo

Reaction score
Morning all, and greetings from sunny Arizona...

I'm new to the forum (well, new, if you don't count the old HomeBrew Digest - any old-timers remember the early days of that šŸ˜Š), and am gearing up to start my first batch of kombuchca.

Any Phoenix area booch'ers on the list? I am in search of a local SCOBY source to get myself started. I have already placed an online order, but with temps still in the 90s here, I am leary of it's health after being shipped in this heat.

So...anyone know of a local Phoenix commercial SCOBY source, or even better, anyone local who might have a overcrowded Hotel that needs thinning...

With thanks & appreciation...

Mike Biondo
Sun City West, AZ

Hello again from sunny Arizona...

Thought I would post a little update of my first Kombucha brew attempt. Not having been able to locate a local SCOBY source I decided to go with the quickest online delivery I could find. In my case that happen to Amazon with a 1-day delivery. I went with a SCOBY from The Kombucha Company. They advertise sending a 5" SCOBY & 16oz of strong Starter Tea.

In reading Amazon reviews of other vendors, many reviewers complained about receiving a very small SCOBYs. So, with chances of getting a larger SCOBY to start with, I decided to go with The Kombucha Company. They also include a 16oz of starter, where most others are only including 8 oz.

Happy to report the SCOBY and Starter arrived safe & sound. The SCOBY was double-bagged. The 16 oz. Starter bottled separately. The SCOBY was probably bigger than 5" in diameter, and almost 1/2" thick.

With everything in hand, into 4 cups of 200F water, steeped 6 black tea bags for 7 minutes, then added 3 green tea bags for the last 3 minutes. Removed tea bags, and dissolved 1 cup sugar. Added 10 cups of cold water. Dropped in the SCOBY, and poured the 16oz of starter on top. Covered the jar with a coffee filter, and put it bed at about 75F.

It's been almost a week now. The original SCOBY dropped to the bottom early on, but a new SCOBY started forming shortly after. The new SCOBY is currently a bit more than 1/4" thick. No visible yeast strands yet.

I'll give it a few more days, before tasting, pH, and Gravity readings.

So here's to a successful Kombucha: Batch #1 :bigmug:

Mike Biondo
Sun City West, AZ

Latest posts

Back