adventures in kegging - first timer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

l1ranger

Reaction score
got a second had setup for christmas - two corneys, regulator, hoses, CO2 tank.

got them cleaned up a while back, filled my CO2 last week and finally got to put something in them this weekend.

started out with water, hooked up CO2 just to check for leaks and see if it willl push liquid out the tap. good news is it pushes water through the system.
one of the kegs had a leak at the pressure release valve. I took it off, looked at it, cleaned it, and it still leaked so I ordered a new one with my new taps and beer hoses.

so sunday, i boiled up 1/2 cup DME with a couple cups of water and primed my porter in the keg with no leaks. purged the regular air and hit it with some CO2 to seal it and gonna let it carb for a few weeks that way as I don't have a fridge/freezer for my kegs...yet.

I feel like a nervous noob all over again:D

Its no big deal......once you get a fridge to convert you'll be in business. I have a two tap keggerator. I got lucky on a nice free side by side so I have lots of freezer space on the other side.

Hint...its a great idea to just totally recondition when you get used kegs. Buy all new o-rings, poppets, and release valves. Also make sure to keep everything coated with a thin film of keg lube. You'll get the hang of it.

Back