Adjusting propane burner

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Last weekend I did my first full volume boil with a NB Darkstar burner. I was surprised to find that the burner came with no instructions beyond how to light it. Does anyone have any tips on how to operate it in an optimally hot manner? I tried to tweak the carb and the gas strength to get a loud roaring sound without blowing out the burner. Any suggestions? Just a note - I’m really just trying to maximize heat for getting water up to temp. Afterward it’d Be far too hot and I have no trouble maintaining temps.

The way I understand burners is you want as blue a flame as you can get. Adjust air intake till you reach that point.

Get a thermometer w/a probe you can insert into the tank or clip on the rim. I set the thermo to alarm at 200*. I open the gas flow all the way and wait. When the alarm goes off I cut WAY back on gas w/one hand and w/the other I have a squirt bottle of water. As the boil begins I begin squirting water to keep from boiling over and w/the other adjust the gas flow for same thing.

Any help???

Don't have that exact burner, but IME blue flame with tiny yellow tip. Increase gas again, adjust air for same flame. Repeat until you like how high it is. Once you learn your burner performance you can better judge by how it sounds.

The way I understand burners is you want as blue a flame as you can get. Adjust air intake till you reach that point.

Get a thermometer w/a probe you can insert into the tank or clip on the rim. I set the thermo to alarm at 200*. I open the gas flow all the way and wait. When the alarm goes off I cut WAY back on gas w/one hand and w/the other I have a squirt bottle of water. As the boil begins I begin squirting water to keep from boiling over and w/the other adjust the gas flow for same thing.

Any help???
That is helpful,thanks! I like the idea about a thermometer with alarm. I’ve been going back and forth with a long mercury thermometer.

Back