Adding yeast to old beer before bottling, how much?? Doing this today.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lakedawgs

Reaction score
I have a Russian Imperial Stout that has been sitting for about 10 months. Plan to bottle today.

It is a 5 gallon batch. I have been told to add some proofed, dry yeast to the bottling bucket. How much dry yeast should I add?

Doing this today, any info is greatly appreciated.
Lakedawgs

I add about half a packet when I do this. As usual, make sure you mix your priming sugar and fresh yeast into your wort very thoroughly.

Pretty much exactly what I ended I up doing. I used about a 1/2 pack, put it on my stir plate with a bit of clean water for about 1/2 hour. Put this in the bucket with priming sugar solution and racked beer on top, got a very good swirl during transfer.

Now, when I bottle 53 gallons of Wee Heavy that has been in the bourbon barrel in my basement for 7 months this Sunday I will have to use a bit more yeast.
THANKS

53 gal of 7 month old wee heavy! Damn, man, I am jealous. Ill PM you my address for some samples ;)

A buddy and I own the barrel and each have 15 gallon shares, we have give 5-10 gallon shares to a couple of friends.
Sunday we drain the Wee Heavy and put in Denny's Imperial Vanilla Porter.

Back