Adding yeast to already bottled beer (or oops)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lwcm

Reaction score
Hi all,

Been reading through a few threads on adding additional yeast to the bottling bucket when bottling big beers and I plan to do this in the future. My problem is that I have two large-ish to big (8% and 11.8% ABV respectively) beers that are currently sitting in bottles in my basement. The 11.8%er has been bottled for about 6 weeks or so (also 1 month primary, 4 months secondary) and the last time I had one it was pretty flat. The 8%er has been bottled for about three (2 weeks primary, 3 months secondary) and it is FLAT in both the 12 oz and 22 oz bottles that I have it in. So, I'm thinking that adding some rehydrated wine yeast would be a good idea to get these buggers carbed up.

My main question is regarding sanitation. Most of the thoughts I've read on this detail uncapping all the bottles and putting 1/4 tsp of rehydrated yeast+water in the bottle and recapping it. Now, I'm assuming that the caps are going to be sanitized but I am worried about what the opening of the bottle will do to the environment inside the bottle when I recap it. Am I just being paranoid? Or is this just how it's done and all will be RDWHAHB?

Thanks in advance

you might not have to use wine yeast - fermentis recommends T-58 for bottle conditioning and has a new strain for "refermentation" as well.

You should sanitize the bottles around the caps before opening, and then you should be ok.

What is the temp. they are being store at? You say in the basement ; ON the floor or on a shelf above the floor? conditioning needs a temp. around 65* 70* and can take months for big beers to condition, and 22oz. bottles longer. More people will chime in on the yeast addition, but sanitize as normal and the gases in the bottle will keep any willys out. If adding a hydrated yeast use an eye dropper instead of measuring spoon, much faster and easier to use. Check your temp. and time in conditioning first though. Good luck. Cheers

11.8%er Has been conditioning for about 6 weeks or so
8%er has been conditioning for about 3 weeks or so.

Basement is pretty steady in the 68-71F range and kept dark

11.8%er is in mostly 22oz bottles resting on the floor with one case stacked on another with a 6 pack (well now 5 pack) of 12oz bottles on the floor.
8%er is mostly in 22 oz bottles in a box on my stash shelf with a 10 pack of 12 oz bottles also on the shelf.

How many drops of re-hydrated yeasties should I use?

Back