Adding yeast starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cheapspkrs111

Reaction score
The recipe for mead that I made on sunday tells me to add some yeast starter at the beginning and then two more times when the Specific gravity drops down to "x" and then again at "x". My question is when should I start checking? I was under the impression I should leave it alone for a couple weeks without even disturbing it. How do I know when to check?:rockin:

Are you supposed to add yeast, or yeast nutrient? Adding "yeast starter" doesn't make sense to me. I suspect they mean to add yeast nutrient. You'll want to do "staggered nutrient additions" to ensure the mead has the proper nutrition to ferment well. There is a sticky at the top of this forum that has FAQs and talks about adding yeast nutrients. It's definitely worth the read- hightest explains things much better than I ever could!

There are some old recipes floating around that do call for addition of more yeast during the fermentation. Generally speaking this is a waste of time and yeast as these late additions of yeast will most likely be stunned senseless by the alcohol and remain dormant.

Back