Adding yeast at bottling a lager

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

klnosaj

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have a lager that's been sitting around for a couple of months. In the past I added a bit of Nottingham yeast at bottling but it produces a sulfur smell that I find unappealing. I have several lager yeasts that I've washed and was going to use one of those this time. Can someone with experience and knowledge walk me through how much to add and how to add yeast at bottling time for a lager?

I have a lager that's been sitting around for a couple of months. In the past I added a bit of Nottingham yeast at bottling but it produces a sulfur smell that I find unappealing. I have several lager yeasts that I've washed and was going to use one of those this time. Can someone with experience and knowledge walk me through how much to add and how to add yeast at bottling time for a lager?

I've never added lager yeast at bottle (only s04 and nottingham ale yeast). I normally used 1/3 package or so of a 11 gram package, so that'd be about 3-4 grams total in a 5 gallon batch.

If you don't want to use ale yeast, I'm sure lager yeast would be fine. If it's a dry yeast, I'd probably do the same as I've done with dry ale yeast. If it's liquid yeast, I'd probably guestimate about 1/2 package or vial would be about the same quantity of active yeast.

I've never added lager yeast at bottle (only s04 and nottingham ale yeast). I normally used 1/3 package or so of a 11 gram package, so that'd be about 3-4 grams total in a 5 gallon batch.

If you don't want to use ale yeast, I'm sure lager yeast would be fine. If it's a dry yeast, I'd probably do the same as I've done with dry ale yeast. If it's liquid yeast, I'd probably guestimate about 1/2 package or vial would be about the same quantity of active yeast.

Lager yeast or ale yeast, it doesn't matter too much. I'm definitely not using Nottingham again, as I said in my op, and I want to use one of the dozens of yeasts I've washed and stored in my fridge. Do I need to get the yeast to krausen again? How much should I add? Do I add it at bottling (as in right into the bucket) or do I add ahead of time?

As I sit at my keyboard I am sipping a lager that did NOT carbonate in the bottle. It is very slightly fizzy. Go ahead and add some lager yeast, let it restart if you wish. As for how much, I don't really know other than what Yooper recommended to me, 1/3 a packet. I ended up opening most of my bottles and putting it in a keg and force carb'ing it. As for the advice against it because I'd aerate my beer, it didn't last long enough to spoil, only the weekend. Nobody stopped at just one glass. I left a few 22oz bottles because those were all carb'ed when I opened them, but this one isn't.

As I sit at my keyboard I am sipping a lager that did NOT carbonate in the bottle. It is very slightly fizzy. Go ahead and add some lager yeast, let it restart if you wish. As for how much, I don't really know other than what Yooper recommended to me, 1/3 a packet. I ended up opening most of my bottles and putting it in a keg and force carb'ing it. As for the advice against it because I'd aerate my beer, it didn't last long enough to spoil, only the weekend. Nobody stopped at just one glass. I left a few 22oz bottles because those were all carb'ed when I opened them, but this one isn't.

The problem I'm encountering is in determining how much slurry from washed yeast to add. I've read one uses 1/10 of what was used to ferment but I don't know how that translates between pitching from a vial and now using washed slurry. Anybody else have any hints or tips or suggestions or experiences to share?

Back