adding water to fermenter becasue of old grain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

taintedplay

Reaction score
I have some old grains milled 4 months ago that I was thinking of adding to my recipe, ontop of the normal ingredients. I have the extra grain so I figure I might as well use it. I was thinking that I would take a hyrdometer reading, and add water to the fermenter based on how much higher the reading is than what the recipe calls for.

Opinions?

Just calculate the increase in gravity, using about 36 points/pound/gallon for the base grain/fermentables...you just plug the gallon value to give you the desired OG for the amount of fermentables.

I have no idea what you said, tainted, but the other day I dumped a liter of water full of city water w/ chloramine in it and also trace bacteria right into my primary fermentatorator. And it was fine I think. I'm still alive and the beer was a'ight.

I have some old grains milled 4 months ago that I was thinking of adding to my recipe, ontop of the normal ingredients. I have the extra grain so I figure I might as well use it. I was thinking that I would take a hyrdometer reading, and add water to the fermenter based on how much higher the reading is than what the recipe calls for.

Opinions?

Why not just use the grains as part of a recipe instead of tossing them on top of the ingredients in another recipe? Just seems to be the more logical way to use leftovers, two batches of good beer instead of one batch of.... well, wtf knows.

Back