adding water to beer.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

narl79

Reaction score
So last night I had a delima. I was using a siphon that you blow into and it got to about 1 gallon and quit because I didn't have it low enough. It wouldn't work so I pulled out the pump siphon but by then I had already swished the trub around too much for me to want to get the rest out. I put in enough suger solution for 5gls not 4 and didn't want them all to explode so I added a gallon of water to compinsate. Was this a bad idea or would you have done something different?

You lightened taste and color.
You reduced ABV.

I would have siphoned the rest and given the bottles extra time for the sediment to settle.

Or

Let both set for a week, the sugar would get consumed, then reprime, and resiphon.

I agree with Ster. You just diluted your beer by adding the water. You would certainly need to keep an eye on them, but having sugar for 5 gals and ending with 4 is not that big of a deal. They may have ended up a little over carbed, but you can always let them sit for a few days, "burp" them and reseal. Adding water post fermentation is likely never a good idea. Auto-siphons cost about $10 and will be much easier to deal with.

"The more you know..." :mug:

I would have covered my bottling bucket and fermentor and waited an hour or so to let the trub settle. Then continued. Even if you got some cloudy beer it would mix with the other four gallons and settle out in the bottles anyway.

Back