Adding vanilla extract to keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BansheeRider

Reaction score
Hello,

I am kegging an dry irish stout today and I want to add vanilla extract to my keg. I tried a very little bit with my hydro sample and it tasted great. how much extract should I use with 4.5-5 gallons? I was thinking I would pour it into the keg first then rack on top of it.

Thanks!

How much did you use in the hydro? just scale it up. It's a matter of personal taste. A dry irish stout is going to need a whole lot to come through the blackened grains.

How much did you use in the hydro? just scale it up. It's a matter of personal taste. A dry irish stout is going to need a whole lot to come through the blackened grains.

I used 1/8 tsp lol. What's the typical amount people use? Also do they measure by weight or volume? I was thinking maybe a 1/4 cup or something.

I would just add a little at a time. I added 1oz to a pumpkin ale and that was just right. I would just tasted along the way. Don't forget to stir!

I would just add a little at a time. I added 1oz to a pumpkin ale and that was just right. I would just tasted along the way. Don't forget to stir!

I don't want to taste too much and waste beer. I will be kegging this beer so stirring may be difficult. Maybe racking on top will mix it well.

Rack on top of 1 oz, purge keg, seal and pull a sample.
If you want more, crack the lid and add .5oz at a time till you get where u want it

Thats the great part of kegging, you can add fresh spices/fruit/hops after a couple weeks in the keg to "bring it back to life"

Cheers!

Rack on top of 1 oz, purge keg, seal and pull a sample.
If you want more, crack the lid and add .5oz at a time till you get where u want it

Thats the great part of kegging, you can add fresh spices/fruit/hops after a couple weeks in the keg to "bring it back to life"

Cheers!

This x100 for kegging or in the bottling bucket for coffee, vanilla, whatever

Thanks for all the replies. I ended up putting 1/4 cup of quality vanilla extract in the keg then racking on top. I filled the keg with 30psi then purged to seal the lid and then rolled the keg on the ground slightly shaking it, gas off at this point. I pulled a sample 24 hours later after force carbonating and man does it taste good. It's the best dry irish stout I've made.

Back