Adding Valve to Bayou Classic Pot

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
the guys @ BargainFittings can get you squared away. i just added weldless to my new keggle and it was easy with the step bit and cutting oil :) you'll love it!

the guys @ BargainFittings can get you squared away. i just added weldless to my new keggle and it was easy with the step bit and cutting oil :) you'll love it!

+1, I found bargainfittings the cheapest place to get them. You just need a titanium stepped drilled bit (I got mine from eBay for about $9 shipped).

Just go slow when drilling the hole and be careful not to drill the hole too big.

mark the next step bigger with a sharpie marker all the way around. when all you can see left on the step bit is the black line, you know yer done. :)

Cool thanks all! One last thing, what size on the bit did you drill for the weldless valve?

+1 on bargain fittings I just ordered my weldless kit and I hope it is here today...darn you work clock go faster...I believe the hole size is listed on the site. 11/16 maybe????? IDK for sure...

I think it is 13/16. If you go on his website, I think wayne has the directions there to look at. The step bit he sells on his site is also a good buy!

One more question about the conversion...

I'm more than likely gonna use a keggle in combination with this converted pot until I can score another keg. Do I need a diptube in this pot or keg or is that only for mashtuns? Will it drain fine without one?

If you are using a ball valve, chances are you will need some sort of dip tube if you want to be able to empty all the water from your hlt. On my hlt, all I use is a copper 90* elbow attached to a copper male nipple.
If you are not using a sight glass in your hlt to measure water, it might not matter.
Works like a charm.

Ah gotcha. I was unsure about the suction but just read about once you hookup a hose to the valve and have your output lower than the vessle it'll siphon it all out from the tube/nipple.

What about draintube position? Center or along the wall? Angled or mouth against the bottom of pot?

Ah gotcha. I was unsure about the suction but just read about once you hookup a hose to the valve and have your output lower than the vessle it'll siphon it all out from the tube/nipple.

What about draintube position? Center or along the wall? Angled or mouth against the bottom of pot?

On that pot I would go along the wall, probably straight down (mouth against bottom of pot). That way, you can fit a chiller in there if you ever use it for a boil kettle instead of just an hlt.

On that pot I would go along the wall, probably straight down (mouth against bottom of pot). That way, you can fit a chiller in there if you ever use it for a boil kettle instead of just an hlt.

Or he could use a counterflow chiller.

Latest posts

Back