Adding unneccesary hop amount?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WortHog1242

Reaction score
Saw an Erdinger clone recipe for 3 gallon batch. It called for 0.2 oz Perle pellets ( 60 min). 0.3 oz Spalt Spalter pellets (15 min) and 0.3 Spalt Spalter ( 1 min). Added to Briess unhopped bavarian wheat LME.
I have an oz of each. Would I mess up the brew if I added all the hops at above mentioned increments.
I don't mind a hoppy beer, but this is the wifes brew ( that I like as well) and she's not a hophead.
I'm just concerned about using half an oz or so and storing them.
I do have a pale ale HME that I can throw in a little extra hops into if I don't use them all in the Erdinger wheat clone. Any thoughts?
Thanks.
PS...I've only done pre-hopped kits so far, and don't want to mess it up. Its my slow approach to doing a partial, with grains.

Im not familiar with Erdinger, but wheat beers are usually low IBU beers. Simply put, more hops will change the beer, I just wouldnt do it. The amounts are also smaller because its a 3 gallon batch, maybe step it up to 5 gallons if you want to use more of your stash.

If you add 1 oz or Perle for 60 min, instead of .2 oz, you will make the final beer extremely more bitter than the original recipe.

If you add 1 oz or Perle for 60 min, instead of .2 oz, you will make the final beer extremely more bitter than the original recipe.

yep, specifically 5 times more bitter (probably more like 4x considering hop efficiency in thick boils).

it could turn out undrinkable by anyone but a true hop-head.

save the .8oz for your next brew :)

If you tightly reclose the hops bags, and store them in a ziploc bag in the freezer, they will last a long time. Long enough that you can brew the same brew again next year, and use those hops.

You can get close by splitting the hops into two piles by eye, then four piles and use the smallest pile.

Plus, diet scales that are good enough cost about $7.

As for storage just stick them in a zip lock bag get as much air out and freeze them. They will keep for six months or more with little diminshed bitterness.

Back