Adding to RO water

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DarthCitra

Reaction score
I have had a few brews under my belt now looking to step it up. I have always used RO water for my brew but now reading some threads i see people adding different things for different types of beer. What do i need to add to step my game up? i mainly brew IPA's, Hefe and i am looking to try some imperial red's and black IPA's. I just need to know what to buy to get started.

Download a copy of Bru'n water. The instructions are in the spreadsheet. It will allow you to choose base water profiles from distilled, RO or your own water provided you have the water report. I typically just use the preset base profiles. It will tell you what ballpark to be in for which ever style you want for all of the necessary water elements. Has made a big difference in my being able to brew anything from Pales to porters and stouts. I know everyone says the same thing when these questions are asked, but there's a reason for it. These spreadsheets work.

Gypsum (calcium sulfate) and calcium chloride are 2 salts you will want to pick up. I am just getting into water adjustments also but I think most of your adjustments can be done with just these 2 salts. I also have epsom salts and canning salt too though :p

Agreed with the above posts. Bru'n Water took my beers to the next level. Might take some playing with to get familarized but once you know what you are doing, its easy to use. For most of your beers CaCL and So4 are really the only salts you need, esp with RO water. For some darker beers you may need to add some Calcium carbonate, but thats only if your pH requires it. Bru'n water will help you figure that out

Another vote for starting with the Brewing Water Primer and downloading Bru'n Water. I'd also suggest picking up Palmer's book Water.

Don't expect to understand all of this right away - it is a little complicated, especially if you're like me and don't have a science background. But with some study and practice, you'll get it and it will be very much worth the effort.

Back