adding sugar rule of thumb

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CandleWineProject

Reaction score
HWMBO has been pushing me to make more stuff. Last October I bought some canned pears, so I thought now might be a good time to do something with them. 10 cans at 15 oz. Their SG was about 1.048.

Then I realized that I didn't really know what the magical formula for adding sugar was, nor what adding water would do to the SG. What is the rule of thumb?

I need to find a SWMBO who encourages my propensity for creating alcoholic beverages. :)

Okay, honestly, I'm still SWMBO, and he is not, but I don't know what else to call him besides beer maker. And he thinks I need making more wine, so I'm rolling with it.

But that isn't the point. I ended up throwing in 1.5 qts with 2 lbs of sugar and got 1.094. That was just dumping with no idea what the final outcome would be. Not exactly smart in the long run.

Who knows until it's done? Might turn out fantastic. Might not. Experimentation is fun :)

pitch some s-05, cold crash it when it gets to about 1.020 or thereabouts.

= a tasty sweet pear cider. (maybe add a trace amount of lemon or orange for a bit of flavor, or wait, excuse me, 'complexity' *smooths mustache*)

that's what IWMNBO would do. but then again, i don't have to listen to myself if i don't want to.

I don't have it on this computer (I'm at my cottage) but I use a great downloaded program called "winecalc". It gives you some easy calculations, to add sugar and water to get to a specific OG and/or volume. See if you can find it. If not, send me a PM later, and when I'm at my home computer, I'll see if I can send you a link to it.

I use it all the time for wines. I'm sure it can be done with a pencil, but I'm mathematically challenged. If the current must is 1.084 at 4 gallons, how do I get 5 gallons of 1.095? That little program will tell you "X.X number of pounds of sugar". It's always very close.

I don't have it on this computer (I'm at my cottage) but I use a great downloaded program called "winecalc". It gives you some easy calculations, to add sugar and water to get to a specific OG and/or volume. See if you can find it. If not, send me a PM later, and when I'm at my home computer, I'll see if I can send you a link to it.

I use it all the time for wines. I'm sure it can be done with a pencil, but I'm mathematically challenged. If the current must is 1.084 at 4 gallons, how do I get 5 gallons of 1.095? That little program will tell you "X.X number of pounds of sugar". It's always very close.

Hmm, there appears to be several programs with that name. The one I downloaded was British and very metric! I need a metric converter now.

Yes, experimenting is very good. However, I have my eye on opening a winery some day, and customers want consistency. if one batch of fruit has x amount of sugar and the next has y, it can can cause some problems, not to not to mention the headaches of having to change the label.

Hmm, there appears to be several programs with that name. The one I downloaded was British and very metric! I need a metric converter now.

Yes, experimenting is very good. However, I have my eye on opening a winery some day, and customers want consistency. if one batch of fruit has x amount of sugar and the next has y, it can can cause some problems, not to not to mention the headaches of having to change the label.

If you have a good cell phone, check under calculator(usually under tools)- my new one has a measurement calculator and a tip calculator and even a money exchanger that has about 30 different countries on it and it constantly updates so it is quite on the spot.
But mine will take metric and put it back to US measures like cups and lbs and such. take a peek and you might be lucky and have it too.:)

Back