Adding sugar, post-fermentation question.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RosettaSt0ned

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I just finished brewing an IPA (as my first all-grain brew!) via the BIAB method; nailed my OG thanks to 80.7% mash efficiency. However, I forgot to take boiloff into account and ended up with 4 gallons instead of 5 into the fermenter.

As a result, my OG of 1.066 took a hit to an OG of ~1.052 after adding 1 gallon of top-up water to the fermenter.

I'm thinking of boiling up a solution of 1/2 gallon water to 1.5 pounds table sugar and adding it into the fermenter after primary fermentation is done to take it back up to around 1.066. I was hoping to hit my ~7% ABV target on this, but as it stands, BeerSmith is predicting 5.6% after my absent-minded boiloff oopsie and water top-up.

My question being, how much of a thinning effect (or anything else unpleasant) will this amount of added sugar post-primary fermentation have on my beer? Could the original recipe stand up to this sort of addition with little ill effect? In the recipe below, it would equate to 11.1% of the grain bill, knock the 2-row down to 81.5% and the 40L to 7.4%

If it helps, I mashed at ~153F for an hour. The temperature dropped a bit (to around 148ish) and stayed at that temp for about 15 minutes, and I added hot water to bring the temp back up, and repeated this 2 more times. So during the mash, it was probably at 148-150 for a total of 20 minutes, but around 152-153 the remainder of the time.

Original recipe:

11 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 91.7 %
1 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 8.3 %
1.00 oz Centennial Hops [9.70 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop
1.00 oz Centennial Hops [9.70 %] - Boil 20.0 min Hop
2.00 oz Centennial Hops [9.70 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop
1.0 pkg Safale American (DCL/Fermentis #US-05) [50.28 ml] Yeast
1.00 oz Centennial Type Hops [9.70 %] - Dry Hop 7.0 Days

And here's a screencap from BeerSmith:

Fr1SI.png

If you must tinker any further I would boil some malt extract into water and use it. Table sugar is going to cause for a couple of unwanted side effects: 1. Dry-ness, 2. Sometimes in great quantities, a cider-y taste.

Even using DME/LME, you're going to be watering down the hops and specialty grains from your original recipe.

If I were you, I wouldn't have topped off the batch in the fermenter. No need to tinker with it, jot down your now-more-accurate notes about boil off and chalk it up as a lesson for next time! I'd much rather have 4 gallons of very good beer than 5 gallons of beer I watered down :mug:

Congrats on the first all-grain batch and the excellent mash efficiency!

1.5 lbs is way too much. It will add about 14 points taking it to about 1.066 as you say. 14 points out of 66 is more than 20%.

You did mash high for an IPA, and it will probably end up sweet. It probably would benefit from some sugar addition to help dry it out a bit. I'd limit it to about 10% (about 3/4 lbs).

Back