Adding spices?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

healimonster

Reaction score
I remember tasting a Harpoon Winter Warmer in the late 90's and it smacked of a delicious spice flavor. Last week I tasted a few Winter Warmer's and I was gobsmacked at how bland that winter beer had become. I couldn't taste any spices and the beer tasted like a Killians Red to me. So I decided to try to add spices to my next batch. I used the search feature to figure out how to add spices. I guess you can add them to a pint of vodka to create a tea of sorts and then add that to the bottling process. But what spices work well in a holiday ale? Yes a bit of a broad questions but what translates best for a spiced ale? Nutmeg? Cinnamon? How much?

I like Orange peel, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger and about 1.5 pounds of honney per 5 gallons at flame out in mine. Be careful with the spices especially the nutmeg and ginger they can easily over power the beer

We add them in our pumpkin beer all the time, and we've added them in a few stages, during the boil, before primary fermentation, and at bottling. If the spice is too strong, let it sit a while. We once bought a kit for pumpkin beer, and there was so much clove it would make your lips go numb a little! But after sitting for 10 months of so, it mellowed out a lot! (Actually, that's good advice for anything you bottle and don't like at first, they always get better with age!)

You don't need a whole pint of vodka. Just enough to cover the spices in a container is fine.

Try 1-2 big cinnamon sticks (broken up)and about 20 allspice berries soaked in a bit of cheap vodka a few days before removing the solid bits. I'd avoid nutmeg as it tends to be super strong.

I add spices to my winter in the last 5 min of the boil along with a sliced vanilla bean, the spices always come through if you use enough.

Adding pepper powder and lemon will is a good choice. I have tried it myself many times and the taste is excellent. I have heard about some other spices too. But not sharing here as i heard that using it too long is dangerous for health.

Back